The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

Kale, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cabbage are All the Same Species
So does that mean that any one of the above can be used for this challenge? Because that does change things.

It´s not my place to decide, but if cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts are included, I reckon we´ll be opening up a totally different kettle of fish!!

It ultimately up to Timenspace to decide but my feeling is if it gets too broad a category, it becomes unfocussed as a challenge. Brassicas as mentioned in JAS_OH1 's link includes at least 22 vegetables such as turnips, radishes and watercress as well as cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

Brassica Vegetable Guide: 15 Types of Brassicas - 2022 - MasterClass

Timenspace, if you want to extend the challenge to include other types of brassicas its up to you.

It ultimately up to Timenspace to decide but my feeling is if it gets too broad a category, it becomes unfocussed as a challenge. Brassicas as mentioned in JAS_OH1 's link includes at least 22 vegetables such as turnips, radishes and watercress as well as cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

Timenspace, if you want to extend the challenge to include other types of brassicas its up to you.
I see what you mean. It's like having a fish challenge, so many different kinds out there (way more than 22). But that's been done. I don't want to put any hardships on the judge, though. It's no big deal for me to skip another month.

kalua pig and cabbage.jpg

Kalua Pig & Cabbage

I make this dish probably once every two weeks or so, it's that good and easy once you've made a batch of Kalua Pig.
When Pork Butt or Shoulder goes on sale, I scoop one of those beauties up.
I portion out recipe sized bags of the finished Kalua Pig for the freezer.

kalua-pig-packages.jpg

Green Cabbage will last a good long time in the crisper of the `fridge.

It's like having a fish challenge, so many different kinds out there (way more than 22).

Yep, I know. I s'pose I was just thinking that watercress, cabbage and turnips are really quite different in how they might be cooked compared to types of fish!

Honestly it doesn't matter. Its up to the judge not us.

Yep, I know. I s'pose I was just thinking that watercress, cabbage and turnips are really quite different in how they might be cooked compared to types of fish!

Honestly it doesn't matter. Its up to the judge not us.
Agreed. There are probably 50 different ways to prepare cabbage and kale. If she'd just said cabbage I'd not have bothered Googling it, but I was curious how they were related. But like I said, no hardship skipping the challenge again.

Last edited:

A lot of those also butt up against a recent previous challenge, root vegetables. It might be nice to put some space between that challenge and this one.

A lot of those also butt up against a recent previous challenge, root vegetables. It might be nice to put some space between that challenge and this one.
I've personally no interest in root vegetables anytime soon! If it was an issue, that could be a disclaimer..."except root vegetables..." lol. But nevermind, I've been successfully talked out of participating and it's fine, really! I'll watch from the sidelines.

Kimchi! I've never made it but its certainly completely cabbage centred. Has anyone here made kimchi?
It’s bloody expensive for some reason and we are on a stupid tight budget right now and so I’ll be making it as I bought the correct stuff from the Korean grocer a while back. Now I need to keep an eye out for wombok or other veg to use in it. I want to make mu kimchi. Mu is a shorter fatter radish like daikon but slightly different.

Oh goodness. I’m obsessed with Korean recently.

I just finished up my tub of purposely very old kimchi making jiggae today. I add a lot of extra cabbage to that too actually as the boys never add veg to their meals, they just heat and serve with the appropriate carb.

The only ways I like cabbage are in a salad, coleslaw or sauerkraut. Kale isn't for human consumption, IMO.

I'll give it some thought, but no promises.

CD
The different types of kale are very different. We all eat the curly stuff but loathe the Tuscan black.

I’ve grown both but without a doubt the curly gives the best bang for your gardening buck. Lives for 2 years and looks like something from Jurassic park by the end.

Back
Top Bottom