The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

So let´s get this show on the road. Cabbage is consumed in huge quantities, all across the world, so I reckon there´s no excuse for not posting something. Here´s some breakfast:
Bubble & Squeak
I´ve made this with leftover cabbage; with brussels sprouts; with white and red cabbage; even with Chinese cabbage - I always enjoy it, sometimes just as it is and sometimes with a couple of good quality bangers.
This particular photo is not mine, although I did prepare the dish. A chef friend asked me for some help with a British, Vegetarian event - this was one of the dishes I made (MINUS the bacon for the veggies). Topped with a quail egg.

Posting from a PC is the only way I'll ever do this. Might read on a phone, sometimes. Posting? Never.
My wife got an I mac for the living room desk. All I do is surf on it. Do they still use that term? Surf? I can move, copy, paste and store photos using Microsoft but not the I mac. I don’t care to learn either. I have to go upstairs and sit at my drum set to go on the laptop. It has all become too complicated.

Last edited:
I was imagining if this was an in person challenge, I would love to talk to each of the cooks, so that is why I will comment on each recipe, simply my thoughts around it. It will not be affecting the impartiality of judging.:D
I just feel everyone submitting took the effort and time, and each dish is such an interesting topic and opens other topics, so why not, no harm.

We had a bunch of errands yesterday, so using the time my daughter is still asleep to share some more thoughts on cabbage:happy:...
one of the Croatian traditional dishes that include cabbage would be something like this: Sauerkraut and fresh cabbage, smoked pork ribs or other, served often alongside mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. It would certainly not be found only in Croatia, but it pops in my mind...

1646550324561.png

recepti.hr pic.

I love both Sauerkraut and fresh cabbage. The perception of Sauerkraut was so strong in my mind, that when my boyfriend cooked a meal with fresh cabbage, I was surprised at how delicate and sweet the fresh one stir fried is...:roflmao:

There are so many lovely ways to cook cabbage...

This is a cabbage pie that very much reminds me of my Grandma, she was a great home cook. She would use store bought dough, but knew how to prepare her own.

1646550885921.png

Recepti.com pic.

I remember loving the sweet and salty and crunchy bites.
In our neighbouring country, Bosnia, pita zeljanica, or cabbage pie is a big deal, very popular, but oftenteims it is with spinach (and cheese). I would have to dig in a bit deeper in history to see, why it is called zeljanica (it might be a botanical overarching term) when it is spinach filled.

I was imagining if this was an in person challenge, I would love to talk to each of the cooks, so that is why I will comment on each recipe, simply my thoughts around it. It will not be affecting the impartiality of judging.:D
I just feel everyone submitting took the effort and time, and each dish is such an interesting topic and opens other topics, so why not, no harm.

I usually set out to do this but find I rapidly get 'behind' on it when there are a lot of entries. We have regularly had 35 plus entries in the past. So, if you are busy working etc. Don't feel you have to comment.

Yeah. It is one bowl meal. Real comfort food. Add a warm bun with butter and Bob’s your uncle.
I've seen kluski noodles in stores around here, do you use kluski noodles to make haluski?

Back
Top Bottom