The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

View attachment 82135

The early stages of a breakfast bahnmito…a breakfast burrito made like a bahn mi: egg, kimchi, cilantro, and bacon for the pork component (plus, cooked in bacon grease). Wrapped in a tortilla, pan fried in bacon grease, and served with a spicy mayo. Probably my favorite variation on the breakfast burrito. Note: the kimchi was made with cabbage and brussels sprouts.

I’m not posting this, but I figured I would share.
Howw interesting kimchi was made with cabbage and brussels sprouts. Did you make it so or was it bought like that? How does it taste in comparison to the usual kimchi? A tad darker?

Here’s what I made for supper tonight:

View attachment 82164

It’s cabbage, onion, mushrooms, and diced roast beef simmered in beef broth, with egg noodles stirred in.

It’s just here to enjoy, as I didn’t use a recipe for once, just winged it, so I have no idea of amounts beyond “a few handfuls of egg noodles, a fair amount of chopped cabbage.”
That is a very well rounded dish, love the combination. In particular adding the mushrooms. Would you enter it as a recipe? It sparks the Croatian dish of noodles and cabbage in my mind. I will post that in a new post...

6 recipes have been submitted so far, so lovely and creative all of them!

I mentioned a Croatian dish using cabbage and noodles.

1647079057415.png

Jamnica.hr picture. with a sausage.

In Croatian the dish is titled Krpice sa zeljem, which is 'little cloth pieces with cabbage' describing the form of the noodles. Such square noodles can be purchased in stores, specifically for this dish. One can of course make them from scratch too. It is a trsditional dish. Mostly it would be cooked in the northern continental hilly parts.

Some recipes call for lard and sugar melted into it before adding cabbage. Some call for caramelising sugar prior to adding oil or lard ...the fresh sliced cabbage is sauteed with onion. The noodles are boiled separately, then merged with the cabbage.

What is the marrow filled with? I am not sure if I missed?
You've not missed anything. The stuffed, baked marrow was just part of our evening meal that night. I threw together a tofu, onion, red pepper, apple & tomato dish cooked with my homemade teriyaki sauce and a couple of ladels of spicy pear chutney and ended up with a tofu stir fry that reminded both of us of a black bean stir fry sauce only without a black bean in sight! It was really delicious.

It's just the colcannon that's the entry.

Another Croatian dish that popped up in my mind, when reading the Colcannon recipes and your posts here, is Blitva sa krumpirom, Blitva is a green, Beta vulgaris, often cooked in the seaside areas, further south in Croatia, but is loved throughout. Amaranthacea is the botanical category of this green veg, which encompasses over 2000 plants, divided into 178 subcategories, and interestingly Amaranth is one of them.
1647079755673.png

Ledo.hr picture.

1647079804784.png

Croatia.hr picture.

1647079862598.png

Coolinarika.hr picture.
This is the dish, the green (Swiss chard) with boiled potatoes. Very often it is enjoyed with fish.

The Swiss chard and potatoes are boiled for 10-15 min separately. Olive oil, fresh garlic and salt are added in a bowl, into which the veges are tansferred to and seasoned with. Simple and lovely.

You've not missed anything. The stuffed, baked marrow was just part of our evening meal that night. I threw together a tofu, onion, red pepper, apple & tomato dish cooked with my homemade teriyaki sauce and a couple of ladels of spicy pear chutney and ended up with a tofu stir fry that reminded both of us of a black bean stir fry sauce only without a black bean in sight! It was really delicious.

It's just the colcannon that's the entry.
What a lovely stir! Spicey pear chutney, wow. The tofu gave it heartiness, I imagine it would have had a multilayered diverse rich taste.
It makes me crave the smoked tofu I had a month ago, I might get it again...and try to recreate and stuff zucchini with a similar stir.

View attachment 82135

The early stages of a breakfast bahnmito…a breakfast burrito made like a bahn mi: egg, kimchi, cilantro, and bacon for the pork component (plus, cooked in bacon grease). Wrapped in a tortilla, pan fried in bacon grease, and served with a spicy mayo. Probably my favorite variation on the breakfast burrito. Note: the kimchi was made with cabbage and brussels sprouts.

I’m not posting this, but I figured I would share.
You should enter that.

Here's a thing! I must be recovering from my Winter hibernation and lack of posting new recipes because I'm now spoilt for choice. I've notes for twelve new cabbage recipe ideas. One is already made. So I now have to choose what next... my fridge is full of cabbages.
I’m telling you…I adore cabbage. Maybe that’s because it’s thought of as such a lowly vegetable, and unrefined, but I love it. We ate so much cabbage growing up, either just fried in a skillet or as kraut. I think cabbage is just about perfect.

I’ve got all my recipes picked out, and a couple of others, and I’m already thinking…”I should make this…and this…and this and this and this!” :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom