The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

Cabbage Wrapped Salmon Appetizers

Entry # 3:
salmon-cabbage-served-.jpg

I have a separate challenge via Facebook. I have to make a fish dish that is steamed. Well, gonna combine steamed haddock with Brussels sprouts... Sounds good to me!

I have a couple other ideas, one of which is likely to be vegan.

Growing up, I hated Brussel sprouts. I learned to respect and even come to love this veggie over the past fifteen years!! Cabbage and other brassica I have already almost always loved.

Cabbage and
I just wish cabbage liked me! I love Savoy cabbage but I can't easy abutting with so much as a trace in it without spending the rested few hours in the bathroom sadly. :(

Other than my step-father's and his mother's attempts at murdering cooking Brussels sprouts I loved them growing up. It's easier to get them frozen here than fresh but luckily they are pretty decent frozen.

I just wish cabbage liked me! I love Savoy cabbage but I can't easy abutting with so much as a trace in it without spending the rested few hours in the bathroom sadly. :(

Other than my step-father's and his mother's attempts at murdering cooking Brussels sprouts I loved them growing up. It's easier to get them frozen here than fresh but luckily they are pretty decent frozen.
Growing up, they were only found canned. Which is probably why I didn't like them. It wasn't until I could roast fresh ones that I learned what I was missing. I'm sorry Brussels sprouts and other cabbages don't treat you with enough respect. I have the same reaction, though, to many nuts and a few other items.

Growing up, they were only found canned. Which is probably why I didn't like them. It wasn't until I could roast fresh ones that I learned what I was missing. I'm sorry Brussels sprouts and other cabbages don't treat you with enough respect. I have the same reaction, though, to many nuts and a few other items.
I never saw Brussels sprouts canned before, but my mother used to buy them frozen in a butter sauce when I was a kid. I always loved them. I never understood kids at school who didn't like asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. Now I completely got the dislike for spinach thing because when I was a kid they came in a can. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I discovered fresh spinach (for salads) or lightly sauteed fresh spinach at restaurants.

Last edited:
Recipe - Cottage Ham Boiled Dinner

Hey, two in a row where I didn't use a recipe and had to write it up...told you all I'm comfortable with cabbage. :wink:

This one is Straight Outta...Camden (Ohio), and by that I mean my grandmom's kitchen. I'd guess that all the years we ate at her house, fully 50% of those meals (probably more) were boiled dinner. Mom also made it quite a bit as well, so we ate a lot of boiled cabbage growing up.

My maternal grandmother's favorite method of cooking was boiling. Sunday dinner at her house was boiled chicken (skin on), boiled vegetables, and boiled potatoes. Everything was overcooked, of course. Her generation overcooked everything for food safety fears.

CD

Sunday dinner at her house was boiled chicken (skin on), boiled vegetables, and boiled potatoes. Everything was overcooked, of course.
I do have to admit that, after decades of going the tender-crisp route for veg, I’ve come back around to my childhood, and generally prefer my veg cooked through and soft inside and out.

MrsT, I think, has always been that way, as she frequently complains that her veg, especially when we eat out, isn’t cooked enough.

I grew up eating canned a
I do have to admit that, after decades of going the tender-crisp route for veg, I’ve come back around to my childhood, and generally prefer my veg cooked through and soft inside and out.

MrsT, I think, has always been that way, as she frequently complains that her veg, especially when we eat out, isn’t cooked enough.

I grew up eating canned asparagus that was then boiled for way too long. I hated asparagus. Then, I had it at a good restaurant in Dallas. It wasn't my choice, it came with the meal. It was a food epiphany. I was blown away.

I like my veggies tender, but not mushy. It is a balancing act. I have it down when I cook at home, and most restaurants seem to get it right.

CD

I'm pretty sure my Mother learned to cook from her maternal grandmother, she boiled the 💩 out of everything!
When I finally was allowed to cook, I was in the crisp-tender camp.
I have always been a veggie kinda gal more so than fruits.
And canned veg is not something I buy much of.
Maybe Corn and Beans, that's about it.
Here's what struck my funny bone awhiles ago, my Mom says to me, "I don't like the vegetables here at 'the home', I like crisp-tender not cooked to death"
🤨 say what?
I'd never heard her use that term before... oh wait she's lived with me and my cooking for 6 months that's where that came from :whistling:

There is a clause in the rules that states 6 recipes per person unless the judge decides otherwise, though I did stipulate it had to be at the start of the challenge... :whistling:
Amazing, will know for the next time judging...:D...anyhow, 6 per person it is now, noone has reached her/his limit as far as I know yet, so...it is perfectly fine now.
Thank you for informing me.

Back
Top Bottom