The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

Growing up, I hated Brussel sprouts. I learned to respect and even come to love this veggie over the past fifteen years!! Cabbage and other brassica I have already almost always loved.
Yes, I had the same hate-love relation to spinach. I felt "punished" when I had to eat it, and now I long for it, and love it in all ways of preparing it...

Last edited:
My maternal grandmother's favorite method of cooking was boiling. Sunday dinner at her house was3 boiled chicken (skin on), boiled vegetables, and boiled potatoes. Everything was overcooked, of course. Her generation overcooked everything for food safety fears.

CD
Sounds like my wife's parents. My favorite thing was when they would buy a ham, and her dad would call it "uncooked ham" because it was pink. He'd cook the ham for at least 3 more hours after getting it. Unlike the charcoal briquette burgers and sawdust dry turkey they'd serve, cooking an already-cooked ham intensified the saltiness and made it almost like a jerky.

Sounds like my wife's parents. My favorite thing was when they would buy a ham, and her dad would call it "uncooked ham" because it was pink. He'd cook the ham for at least 3 more hours after getting it. Unlike the charcoal briquette burgers and sawdust dry turkey they'd serve, cooking an already-cooked ham intensified the saltiness and made it almost like a jerky.

Oh yeah, my dad was the king of well done steaks. He would cut them open on the grill to make sure they were done, which let what juices were still in the steak escape, guarantying shoe leather. Same with burgers. There is well done, and they there is dry hockey puck of beef on a bun.

I don't know where my cooking gene came from. I can only guess that it laid dormant for a while, until my appetite for really good food awakened it. My sister is capable of cooking great food, but just doesn't have the desire to cook. My family loves my cooking, they just don't want to make any changes. They just do what they have always done, and they are okay with that.

CD

So here´s something I make from time to time because I get bored with mayonnaise-based coleslaw: Asian style Coleslaw
This is a very flexible recipe as far as the veg are concerned: if you want to use red cabbage, Savoy cabbage, pak choy, and even Brussels Sprouts, go ahead. With the condiments, you want to achieve YOUR ideal balance, so if you want it hotter, add more chiles. Want it more garlicky - add more garlic. More acidic - add more vinegar. What I would advise against is more fish sauce!

Last edited:
Her generation overcooked everything for food safety fears.
Whereas my mum´s generation overcooked everything because they didn´t know any better. I ask my mum these days how long she cooks the sprouts for, and she doesn´t know - and probably doesn´t care. She just wants them "soft".

I have one idea for this challenge. It is probably not a contender, but it will be something I will want to eat
I´ve always thought it´s important to compete, even if you don´t give yourself a hope of winning.
The very act of competing is a measure of self-confidence. If you´re way off line, then you learn something new. If your entry becomes a winner, you can say " well who´d´ve thought it??":okay::okay:

Oh you ain´t seen nothing yet...
Morning Glory is going to post 6 recipes on the LAST day.
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Well I know I've been guilty of that in the past. Its because I put off writing up the recipes (its a chore). However, so far, of the (now 14) ideas for cabbage dishes that I have, one has been successfully made but not yet written up and another was a disaster. Why I thought stuffing loads of anchovies in a cabbage wedge was a good idea, is a mystery.

Tomorrow I make cabbage dish #3.

View attachment 82397

Brusselskraut…sauerkraut made with Brussels sprouts. I will post the recipe later, and likely update the photo before the end of the challenge. It should take at least a week in the jar for it to start to develop a sour quality.

Brusselskraut... you may want to get trademark on that, if it is good. It could be your new retirement plan. :okay:

CD

My maternal grandmother's favorite method of cooking was boiling. Sunday dinner at her house was boiled chicken (skin on), boiled vegetables, and boiled potatoes. Everything was overcooked, of course. Her generation overcooked everything for food safety fears.

CD
Dad and Mom grew up in Kentucky, and one thing when they re-routed us to New York City when I was two years old that they immediately loved was that veggies up in the Northeast were seldom boiled to death. They took to cooking veggies like never before! Some things were overcooked - those Brussels sprouts - but those probably came out of the can that way. Nothing they could do, and the item wasn't available fresh then.

I do have to admit that, after decades of going the tender-crisp route for veg, I’ve come back around to my childhood, and generally prefer my veg cooked through and soft inside and out.

MrsT, I think, has always been that way, as she frequently complains that her veg, especially when we eat out, isn’t cooked enough.
I prefer my veggies with some sort of crisp to them. Obviously cooking greens don't end up that way, but just about everything else is better that way. (Most varieties of cabbage can be cooked so that body remains.)

Except carrots. I have finally gotten to tolerate carrots. If cooked into mushy submission or relegated to flavor for mirepoix. Okay, you can put the things into a not-too-sweet carrot cake...

But everything else for me tends to need some texture (other than squish). Even for up here in the northeast, I want my bell peppers to have some crunch and body to them - I learned this when I had housemates. Turns out even up here most people (not my late parents) want those soggy. -

Back
Top Bottom