The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doh! I completely forgot about the Dallas invention, the Corny Dog. Fletcher's Corny dogs are legendary at the State Fair of Dallas. And yes, they invented them, no matter what anyone else says.

Back when I went to the State Fair every year, with the girlfriends, and then the wife. A Fletcher's Corny dog was on the To Eat list every time. I like them, but don't love them. But, you gotta' get one at the State Fair.

No time to make any now, but they deserve a mention.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfJUr3stzQ

CD

Last February we were in Cozumel, Mexico We met some really nice people at our resort, and one couple in particular we met were from Iowa. Come to find out, a fried pork tenderloin sandwich is the star of the Iowa Fair. Who knew? I had to try it, so I googled recipes and made them. Oh. My. Yum-yum. I get why it's so popular! How in the world did I live in the midwest for 20 years and not know that these things existed? No one else I know in Ohio had ever heard of these, either. But, then again, no one in Iowa has ever heard of Saurkraut balls, either. So...

Doh! I completely forgot about the Dallas invention, the Corny Dog. Fletcher's Corny dogs are legendary at the State Fair of Dallas. And yes, they invented them, no matter what anyone else says.

Back when I went to the State Fair every year, with the girlfriends, and then the wife. A Fletcher's Corny dog was on the To Eat list every time. I like them, but don't love them. But, you gotta' get one at the State Fair.

CD
That's funny. I used to buy corn dogs for my stepkids at their insistence. They would eat the cornbread coating off the dog and not eat the meat. So I quit buying hot dogs after that, and they complained, because they wanted hot dogs (without the buns) and would dip them in ketchup. If you can eat the breading and there is a hot dog left, why not eat the hot dog if you like hot dogs? SMH.

Kids are hard to understand sometimes.

CD
Corn dogs were on my short list to make, but I just couldn't get the motivation to fry them. They absolutely deserve a mention!

We make corn dogs every so often. Got a recipe for a batter we like years back from a Sarah Moulton show she did on Fair Food. She did a funnel cake too, but those are the only 2 recipes I remember.

Went to Sonic for lunch yesterday. Got a burger and onion rings, and then remembered they made corn dogs after they started on my burger. I'd rather have had the corn dog,

Corn dogs

full.jpg

Recipe - Triple-Berry Upside-Down Cornbread

It's savory! It's sweet! It's...it's...Triple-Berry Upside-Down Cornbread!

This is another one that meets my requirements of easy and delicious. When those two come together, I'm right there with them.

The corn kernels (which you can see in the slice) come through nicely in this, and the crumb reminds you that yes, this is indeed cornbread, but as a bright dessert.

Topped with plain Greek yogurt with a little honey mixed in, fresh berries, and a sprig of mint.

Highly recommended!

Oh mamma mia, this is fantastic! I love it!

Very popular game in Ohio. I had no idea what it was when I first moved here. I thought it sounded like potty humor when I first heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom