The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is too simple to be a serious contender....but I have nostalgic fondness for it so will enter it anyway - "Keen's Curry Creamed Corn".

Recipe here: Recipe & Video - Keen's Curried Cream Corn

Do you eat all the food you take pics of? Is this done on a BBQ?

Russ

I taste it - very often partner eats it. No BBQ/outdoor grill here.

That corn is usually done on a grill (AKA BBQ). I can't imagine anyone letting any of this food go to waste. If people aren't going to eat it all, please call me and I will be right over :D

I don't waste food if I can help it. Very often I'll just cook a single serving and partner eats it. I always taste what I cook (of course!) but don't always eat it.

Morning Glory has a kitchen charring gizmo and isn't afraid to use it. I'm betting that was employed here.

You bet correctly.

Baseball is a game to be watched live, not on TV. Going to a baseball game is more than going to watch men play a game. There is the whole experience. You have the food. Hot dogs, peanuts, beer. Those were the staples. Now you can get all kinds of foods, with waiter service in some sections. It's like a big party with a game going on.

My ex wife worked for a medical/pharmaceutical company. They took us to Texas Rangers games all summer long. We had great seats, waiter service, and we didn't pay for anything. If you are a Rangers fan, as I am, the game is a bonus.

CD
Well-put. Maybe I think this because my home stadium (and yours) have always been outdoors, but I think the elements are also part of it. There's nothing quite like a warm summer day and a nice breeze - intermingled with the other elements - to make for a perfect day. If you get to play hooky from work and catch a weekday afternoon game, then so much the better.

The other side of that is also part of the experience, too, when the weather isn't so good. The rain for delays aren't fun, but I've also been through that before. With the world being shut down (though slowly reopening), I would happily experience a rain delay while attending a game for the worst team in baseball (the Tigers) again.

Post them anyway! Mine's from an Amish cookbook, so there must be some differences.

A lot of extra ingredients in yours. I went History 101 on mine, and made them the way the early New England settlers made them, which they learned from Native Americans. So, basically stone ground white cornmeal, and boiling water. Cooked in a cast iron pan with butter. I did add some backing powder to try to get some fluff, but they were still pretty flat. But, they were good with maple syrup.

I'll post up a picture when I get around to processing them.

CD

Well-put. Maybe I think this because my home stadium (and yours) have always been outdoors, but I think the elements are also part of it. There's nothing quite like a warm summer day and a nice breeze - intermingled with the other elements - to make for a perfect day. If you get to play hooky from work and catch a weekday afternoon game, then so much the better.

The other side of that is also part of the experience, too, when the weather isn't so good. The rain for delays aren't fun, but I've also been through that before. With the world being shut down (though slowly reopening), I would happily experience a rain delay while attending a game for the worst team in baseball (the Tigers) again.

I always go to night games down here, for obvious reasons. :heat: Once the sun goes down, it can be pretty pleasant.

CD

A lot of extra ingredients in yours. I went History 101 on mine, and made them the way the early New England settlers made them, which they learned from Native Americans. So, basically stone ground white cornmeal, and boiling water. Cooked in a cast iron pan with butter. I did add some backing powder to try to get some fluff, but they were still pretty flat. But, they were good with maple syrup.

I'll post up a picture when I get around to processing them.

CD
Well, there you go. To me, what you've got and what I posted are related, but different. Mine's got the flour, baking powder and soda to lighten them up, the buttermilk...so not really the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom