The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so you know where to put your mouth. :eek:

This thread is going downhill rapidly...

Let us remember that corn is an ancient grain which has a rather innocent and lyrical place in American history according to Anthony Boutard:

With the approach of the harvest moon, the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox, we watch the rows of corn as the leaves start to yellow and die back and the husks covering the ears of grain begin to dry. The field develops a distinct rustle in the breeze. The swallows that spent the summer swooping and jostling above the tassels are long gone. A covey of young quail fatten up on the seeds and insects in the field, startling us with whirring wings. Gardeners and farmers, even insects and animals, betray an anxious energy as the season changes. All of us are preoccupied by the need to store food for the months when Ceres pines for her absent daughter. For the gardener, the time is a frenzy of pickling, canning, freezing, and drying.

But he does go on to say:

In the farming communities of eighteenth-century New England, harvesting of the crop was an opportunity to organize a “corn frolic.” Farm families banded together and moved from farm to farm, harvesting the corn and preparing meals as a community event. The collective effort framed as a social event eased the drudgery of the task and kept spirits high. Although corn with yellow ears was favored at the time, an occasional red ear would appear in the field. Under the rules of the frolic, a young man who happened on a red ear could kiss the woman of his choosing. In a classic “heads I win, tails you lose” scenario, a young woman finding a red ear had to submit to a kiss from the single men in the party.

Beautiful Corn - Literature - Utne Reader

Ohio corn isn't ready until late July or even into August. Florida and Georgia corn are pretty good, but Ohio corn is some of the best corn I have ever tasted. And the tomatoes are off the charts delicious! This year I have Roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and Juliette tomatoes growing. I love the Juliette's the best. They remind me of San Marzano. But back to the corn--Ohio corn is bicolor and it is so sweet and tender! Can't wait!

I was thinking it would be easy to make tortilla chips, but that's not quite the same thing as Fritos. I love Fritos, especially with chili.

I think Kelloggs adds sugar to theirs. And I like crispy.

Involtini with Sweetcorn & Cheddar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom