The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...I like hockey. Baseball is more enjoyable to me than American football or basketball, though.

Recipe - Triple-Berry Upside-Down Cornbread

It's savory! It's sweet! It's...it's...Triple-Berry Upside-Down Cornbread!

This is another one that meets my requirements of easy and delicious. When those two come together, I'm right there with them.

The corn kernels (which you can see in the slice) come through nicely in this, and the crumb reminds you that yes, this is indeed cornbread, but as a bright dessert.

Topped with plain Greek yogurt with a little honey mixed in, fresh berries, and a sprig of mint.

Highly recommended!

Lush!

(Swinging for the bleachers should confuse some of the non-mericans here)
For those who don't get the reference:

A couple hundred years ago, when women would wash clothing on a rock down at the riverbank, they didn't have the commercial bleaching products that we have now. They had to resort to natural alternatives, and one was the leaves of the clorius tree.

At each gathering spot for doing the wash, the women put up swings as a way of reaching the leaves, as the trees were quite tall, and it was hard to climb in corsets and hoop skirts and all that. They'd swing and swing, higher and higher, until they could grab a handful of leaves, then drop them to their sister laundresses down below. Once they'd gathered enough, they would crush the leaves into the water, making a natural bleach that would remove stains and leave whites their whitest and brightest.

These leaves were referred to as "bleachers," and to "swing for the bleachers," came to mean putting in any kind of extra effort to attain something.

Coincidentally, Proctor & Gamble (a Cincinnati company), destroyed all the clorius trees...not to make Clorox bleach, as you'd think, but to make sour cream flavored Pringle's.

Either that's true...or maybe it's a baseball reference. I really can't remember. :wink:

For those who don't get the reference:

A couple hundred years ago, when women would wash clothing on a rock down at the riverbank, they didn't have the commercial bleaching products that we have now. They had to resort to natural alternatives, and one was the leaves of the clorius tree.

At each gathering spot for doing the wash, the women put up swings as a way of reaching the leaves, as the trees were quite tall, and it was hard to climb in corsets and hoop skirts and all that. They'd swing and swing, higher and higher, until they could grab a handful of leaves, then drop them to their sister laundresses down below. Once they'd gathered enough, they would crush the leaves into the water, making a natural bleach that would remove stains and leave whites their whitest and brightest.

These leaves were referred to as "bleachers," and to "swing for the bleachers," came to mean putting in any kind of extra effort to attain something.

Coincidentally, Proctor & Gamble (a Cincinnati company), destroyed all the clorius trees...not to make Clorox bleach, as you'd think, but to make sour cream flavored Pringle's.

Either that's true...or maybe it's a baseball reference. I really can't remember. :wink:

Ummmm, it's a baseball reference. When a batter gets a pitch he likes, and puts everything into a swing at the ball, he's trying for a home run. The bleachers are the cheap seats in the outfield where a home run lands.

Your story was entertaining, though.

CD

Ummmm, it's a baseball reference. When a batter gets a pitch he likes, and puts everything into a swing at the ball, he's trying for a home run. The bleachers are the cheap seats in the outfield where a home run lands.

Your story was entertaining, though.

CD
You should hear me explain the meaning of "bottom of the ninth and the bases loaded!" :)

24DC74E7-5EA0-4DE3-9275-0FB26A08C1A5.jpeg

So.....no?

Recipe - Frenchified Popcorn

We eat a lot of popcorn at our house, and this is an easy one to do, and a nice change from the usual butter-and-salt routine.

MrsTasty is something of a popcorn purist, so if it passes her scrutiny, it must be good. When I gave her a bowl of this, she sniffed it and cautiously said, "This smells like garlic bread..."

After tentatively trying some, she looked over at me and purred, "Ohhhhhhh, this is niiiiice...!"

Recipe - Corn & Chicken Pie

Ok, right off the bat, I have to mention that this didn't thicken in the oven. I'm sure it's just because the ratio of milk-to-flour was off, as I was thinking, "This is a lot of milk for 2 TBsp of flour..." Next time, I'll just make this like I usually make chicken pot pies, and do the sauce first, so I know it's just right.

Anyway, on to the eating of it: this puts me right back in my grandmom's kitchen. She was Mennonite, and made a lot of pot pies, though I don't ever remember her using hard-boiled egg in hers.

This is also very corn-forward, as there's more corn in the recipe than either potatoes or chicken.

If you're looking for good, straitforward, no-surprises, Sunday supper comfort food, this is it. It's a big ol' hug from Grandmom on a plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom