The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Miso

BC32FA09-4B80-4B39-97D3-FD8F87D05E21.jpeg

Purple Miso Rice
. Believe it or not, this was made from black rice and white rice. I had this grand vision of the interplay of colors, with fresh oregano, and it didn’t turn out quite the way I had hoped. Black rice is also known as forbidden rice, but the only thing that should’ve been forbidden in this recipe was a red onion. I love red onions so much, but they are the reason why the rice looks purple, instead of a beautiful medley of colors.

It is, however, very tasty. Time permitting, I will make this recipe the way I intended to in the first place.

Last edited:
View attachment 28671

Purple Miso Rice
. Believe it or not, this was made from black rice and white rice. I had this grand vision of the interplay of colors, with fresh oregano, and it didn’t turn out quite the way I had hoped. Black rice is also known as forbidden rice, but the only thing that should’ve been forbidden in this recipe was a red onion. I love red onions so much, but they are the reason why the rice looks purple, instead of a beautiful medley of colors.

It is, however, very tasty. Time permitting, I will make this recipe the way I intended to in the first place.

Wouldn't the white rice have gone dark in any case? Don't know as I've never tried it. You could always cook the two kinds of rice separately and mix at the end, perhaps.

Wouldn't the white rice have gone dark in any case? Don't know as I've never tried it. You could always cook the two kinds of rice separately and mix at the end, perhaps.
You may be right about that. I assumed the purplish color was due to the color of the onion, but I do know that black rice does tend to run. The only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to do what you suggest. Thanks for that!

You may be right about that. I assumed the purplish color was due to the color of the onion, but I do know that black rice does tend to run. The only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to do what you suggest. Thanks for that!

I'm not even sure that would work really as I've not tried it. It probably would so long as the rice was pretty well dried out after cooking.

I should have the recipe I want to make for lunch today. Which means if I don't post it by Wednesday, I won't get the chance before deadline. (It won't matter, I'll post it anyways... unless I end up not liking it...)

The challenge ends Saturday evening your time... I hope you have time!

View attachment 28671

Purple Miso Rice

Were you adding a recipe with that? You'll need to in order to enter out into the competition.

I'm passing on this one. All the chickpea miso pastes I've seen are either in incredibly expensive and large quantities (bearing in mind that I may never have it again) or have still got some soy in them, and I cannot have soy. As someone else said earlier, it takes too long to make your own - not that I might not try at my leisure.

You can get barley or rice miso as well. (That is rice only miso. I have a jar in the fridge). In fact miso can be made using pretty much anything but chickpea, soy, barley and rice are the main 4 options.

Were you adding a recipe with that? You'll need to in order to enter out into the competition.
The results made me sad, so I'm debating whether or not to post it as-is. I do have a few days still before the deadline, and I did enjoy it enough that I want to make it again....hopefully with the pretty results I was envisioning.

I think if you cook the rices separately you should be fine. There's a Cuban dish called Moros and Christianos (Moors and Christians), which is black beans and white rice. If you cook them together, which some do, the rice comes out about the same color as your white rice does. If you cook them separately, then mix, the rice still stays pretty much white even with the juice from the black beans once you mix them together, which is the way I prefer just for the asthetics.

I think if you cook the rices separately you should be fine. There's a Cuban dish called Moros and Christianos (Moors and Christians), which is black beans and white rice. If you cook them together, which some do, the rice comes out about the same color as your white rice does. If you cook them separately, then mix, the rice still stays pretty much white even with the juice from the black beans once you mix them together, which is the way I prefer just for the asthetics.
Thanks! I'm sure it didn't help that I also chose to do this in a pressure cooker (actually an Instant Pot). I think I can still cook part of it that way, and steam some rice separately while the other part is cooking.

You can get barley or rice miso as well. (That is rice only miso. I have a jar in the fridge). In fact miso can be made using pretty much anything but chickpea, soy, barley and rice are the main 4 options.
Yes, but here not only are they all expensive, most of them still have soy in them, even the ones advertised as soy-free.

Here it is...as promised...Savory Jackfruit Chili (100% Vegan)

This recipe comes from the dozen or so chili cook-offs I have participated in at work.
Inevitably, someone enters a vegan chili and frankly they taste terrible. The vegan entries lack the "spirit of chili". :thumbsdown:
So I challenged myself to create a chili that was 1) 100% Vegan and 2) would appeal to chili lovers.
Savory Jackfruit Chili accomplishes that and then some. I can't wait for the next chili cook-off at work.:okay:

I made a vegan chili a year ago for Cinco de Mayo, as I had five vegetarians and one lactose-intolerant omnivore, along with a few standard omnivores.

I really want to re-create that recipe so I can post it where I can refer to it. It was a crazy day so I didn't get to record amounts of ingredients, but I remember well what went into it. It was good enough that one woman whose tag line is usually "vegetables are what food eats" wanted to take some of the leftover home with her!

Didn't contain miso, though. It was soy free, and gluten free.... my secret ingredient was winter squash...

Back
Top Bottom