The CookingBites recipe challenge: pork

I once cooked this fresh shoulder in the Rival BBQ Pit Crock Pot Slow Cooker!! :wink:

Last edited:
I have not eaten Spam in decades. I will have to revisit.
George took a wild pig leg out of the freezer. Tomorrow I will season and marinade over night then I will cook it Sous Vide.
Stuffed pork chops are very popular in my region. Very thick chops are slit and stuffed with fresh pork sausage. The chop and the sausage are well seasoned. It needs to be baked covered or in a baking bag to fully cook the sausage without drying out the chop. I have stuffed my own chops using partially cooked fresh pork sausage.
Stick to andouille or tasso, you're better off!

Pork and Chicken Paella. As I tried paella in several Madrid restaurants, I tried to isolate what I liked about it. This started with guajillo and ancho chili peppers soaked in water, progressed to building a soffritto, and ended with me hiding my spoons. The key is to do an initial stir of ingredients together in the pan, then leave them alone until the rice is done. Not stirring is the hardest part of this for me.

My only regret is not having time to get Spanish chorizo to add to the dish.

C6B6E5AE-1278-4A5B-873D-AC1C541CC0F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Pork and Chicken Paella. As I tried paella in several Madrid restaurants, I tried to isolate what I liked about it. This started with guajillo and ancho chili peppers soaked in water, progressed to building a soffritto, and ended with me hiding my spoons. The key is to do an initial stir of ingredients together in the pan, then leave them alone until the rice is done. Not stirring is the hardest part of this for me.

My only regret is not having time to get Spanish chorizo to add to the dish.

View attachment 85724

Looks good anyway!! :whistling:

My first entry:

Recipe - Schnitz un Knepp (Ham-Apple Dumpling Soup)

Bringing back a little of our recent trip to Pennsylvania Dutch Country, this is a big ol' bowl full of comfort. It's easy to focus on the drop dumplings or the hunks of pork, but what really grabs the palate is the sweet-salty broth, a perfect combination with the chicken stock, dried apples, and brown sugar. It's delicious!

Just starting things going, with the pork shoulder, chicken stock, onion, dried apples, and brown sugar:

Making the drop dumplings:

Simmering away:

Last edited:
Next entry:

Recipe - Pork Agrodolce

Oh...this is good...really good! A little sweet-and-sour, a little barbecue sauce-like, an a whole lot of lusciousness. What's really nice is that the sauce isn't overly thick and heavy, like a standard barbecue sauce can be; it flavors the pork, it's nice drizzled over the top of the dish, and then it gets out of the way and lets the pork shine.

And the pork...so tender, and the pieces with some of the fatcap...marvelously crispy, with that nice little bite from the vinegar, and there's a fair amount of kick to this as well, from the red pepper flakes.

MrsT summed it up: "Whatever you do...do not, and I repeat DO NOT lose this recipe!"

Served over ricotta mashed potatoes, as recommended in the original recipe.

Here's the pork shoulder, ready to go:

The agrodolce sauce:

Into the oven:

Out of the oven:

Back
Top Bottom