The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Turmeric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Did you make it up on your own or is it an existing recipe?
Thanks ❤️! I made it up myself last night. I thought of flavors (in our cupboard/freezer/fridge) that would be bold enough to tame turmeric. Turmeric has a distinct flavor which resembles the combination of sour berries/fruit, juniper/wood, cayenne pepper, cumin and all spice. I think turmeric goes well with those (said) hues, some herbs, ginger (from the same Zingiberaceae family) and - of course - other curry flavors like kaffir lime, fenugreek, coriander, cardamom and chili as turmeric is a common ingredient in curry mixes. The syrup had a tangy but pleasant flavor in which the black currants overruled the turmeric. The syrup would work well with vanilla ice cream too - I ended up sipping small spoonfuls after discarding most of the cocktail and doing the dishes.

Thanks ❤️! I made it up myself last night. I thought of flavors (in our cupboard/freezer/fridge) that would be bold enough to tame turmeric. Turmeric has a distinct flavor which resembles the combination of sour berries/fruit, juniper/wood, cayenne pepper, cumin and all spice. I think turmeric goes well with those (said) hues, some herbs, ginger (from the same Zingiberaceae family) and - of course - other curry flavors like kaffir lime, fenugreek, coriander, cardamom and chili as turmeric is a common ingredient in curry mixes. The syrup had a tangy but pleasant flavor in which the black currants overruled the turmeric. The syrup would work well with vanilla ice cream too - I ended up sipping small spoonfuls after discarding most of the cocktail and doing the dishes.
Yes to all of the above! I'm going to have to give it a try, but I don't have any dark rum, only light.

I made a syrup (different from yours) myself for ice cream a few days ago, but ate it as a test. It was really yummy. I'm going to make it again and write it down/photograph it next time.

Yes to all of the above! I'm going to have to give it a try, but I don't have any dark rum, only light.

I made a syrup (different from yours) myself for ice cream a few days ago, but ate it as a test. It was really yummy. I'm going to make it again and write it down/photograph it next time.
I guess a lighter rum or vodka (and 2-3 teaspoons of syrup instead of 1-2 spoonfuls) would work even better in this cocktail. I just happened to have dark rum at hand.

I guess a lighter rum or vodka (and 2-3 teaspoons of syrup instead of 1-2 spoonfuls) would work even better in this cocktail. I just happened to have dark rum at hand.
I have light rum and vodka on hand. I also have Malibu spiced rum in the cabinet.

Avocado Salad Dressing

AvocadoSaladDressing.jpg

Fresh turmeric is a revelation if you haven't tried it. It can be difficult to obtain depending on where you live but if you can get it the you must! Its so beautifully fragrant and not at all harsh or bitter as dried turmeric can be. Lucky for me its available in some supermarkets here. It keeps fantastically well in the freezer. Grate from frozen.

Not an entry - tomato, avocado and quail's egg salad with kefir dressing, anatto oil and grated fresh turmeric:

Fresh turmeric is a revelation if you haven't tried it. It can be difficult to obtain depending on where you live but if you can get it the you must! Its so beautifully fragrant and not at all harsh or bitter as dried turmeric can be. Lucky for me its available in some supermarkets here. It keeps fantastically well in the freezer. Grate from frozen.

Not an entry - tomato, avocado and quail's egg salad with kefir dressing, anatto oil and grated fresh turmeric:

View attachment 52599

View attachment 52600
Absolutely stunning, as usual, MG!

That's so cool! But the link doesn't work?
I didn't post the recipe link with the picture at first, but it's there now. It's a bad habit of mine, since I usually finish my recipes late at night (hence the name), and I usually don't feel up to adding the recipe right away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom