The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Turmeric

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling with this one. I bought some turmeric, and tasted it. And tasted it. And tasted it. I can't quite wrap my head around the taste.

CD

I am struggling with this one. I bought some turmeric, and tasted it. And tasted it. And tasted it. I can't quite wrap my head around the taste.

CD
I hear ya. Goes well with chicken, rice, and many other things, but it is pungent and aromatic. And very different. I had eaten it in curry before, but never had turmeric itself until maybe 5 years ago?

I hear ya. Goes well with chicken, rice, and many other things, but it is pungent and aromatic. And very different. I had eaten it in curry before, but never had turmeric itself until maybe 5 years ago?

I can't think of a way to make it the "lead singer" of a dish. It seems like it was born to sing harmony -- way in the background.

CD

CD

I too, have avoided using Tumeric in the past as I did not understand it well.

I hope it helps for me to say it, but Tumeric needs to be happily paired or married to some other spice or a sweetener, sometimes a fat flavor. Therein lies the secret of its use.

I discovered this in the past few days by looking up recipes for Curries and Chutneys and what makes them what they are. I advise you take a similar look.

My first recipe, "Red Lentils with Flaked Salmon", pairs Tumeric with Allspice and the sweetness of Lemon Juice. These three, combined, did well to make the dish uniquely flavorful.

I could be wrong about believing that I have discovered the secret of Tumeric usage, but go take a research tour of Tumeric recipes and you'll find many examples of such pairings.

Given that revelation, you should be able to proceed with an entry to the Recipe Challenge that will not only be sufficient, but perhaps, unique.

I stated earlier that I felt Tumeric was a very versatile spice. This is why.

CD

The main thing is not use too much. Its a subtle spice. Too much becomes bitter. Half a teaspoon added to rice when it boils will turn the rice yellow and adds a subtle flavour. That's an easy way to try it out.

Last edited:
That is true.

Thanks! I'm not alone. I'm going to take this as a challenge, and if it has to sing harmony, make it sing harmony well.

Now, I just have to actually do it -- and the next few weeks are kind of sketchy for me. But, it won't be the first time I bit off more than I could chew. Hey, I have to eat, so why not make something with turmeric -- how hard can it be? :unsure:

CD

Cherry & Turmeric Biscuit Cake
kur_b.png

Recipe - Turmeric Golden Milk

This is an easy recipe to prepare. Golden milk with turmeric is a healthy and soothing drink with anti-inflammatory properties. I love a good cup of green tea, but the caffeine often makes me restless if consumed in the late afternoon or evening. This golden milk knocks me right out.

1607549080887.png

1607549059299.png

Last edited:
I just got a shipping tracker update on the 18 Oz. Goblets. They will be arriving Dec. 10th, not the 16th.

Got 'em. 18 Oz. Goblets are from Alpine Brand, imported, possibly Switzerland, Germany or Italy?

Tap them together and they ring. But I can't get them to sound by rubbing my finger around the tops.

Got 'em. 18 Oz. Goblets are from Alpine Brand, imported, possibly Switzerland, Germany or Italy?

Tap them together and they ring. But I can't get them to sound by rubbing my finger around the tops.
Did you try wetting your finger a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom