10) Tomato paste - 1 4 oz. can.
11) Water - 1/8 cup
12) Cheese blend - 1/8 cup
13) Oregano - 2 tspns.
14) Rosemary - 1 tspn.
15) Marjoram - 1 tspn.

Procedure:

-- Preparation --

1) Cross slice the 1/2 potato and 1/2 of the tomato.
2) Dice the other 1/2 tomato, 1 Serrano pepper and the bacon.
3) Slice off 2 slices of onion and dice.
4) Mix the diced tomato, Serrano pepper, bacon and onion and set aside.
5) Dice the garlic and 1 Serrano pepper and set aside.
6) Pan fry the potato slices.
7) Mix the tomato paste with water.
8) Prepare a tomato sauce by simmering the tomato paste and water.

NOTE: Cook the sauce thick and treat it like any tomato sauce, simmering and stirring for about 45 to 60 minutes. Simmer while other parts of the recipe are being worked on. Stir often.

9) Add the spices to the sauce as it heats.

-- Polenta and Egg Crust --

10) Beat 1 egg and mix with polenta.
11) Oil a baking pan and form a crust within it.

-- Tomato Potato Egg Bake --

12) Beat 2 eggs and mix with half n half.
13) Mix in the diced tomato, Serrano pepper, bacon and onion.
14) Layer the polenta crust with fried potato slices.
15) Pour the egg mix over the potatoes.
16) Pre-heat oven to 350F.
17) Bake the base egg bake for about 25 minutes til egg looks cooked.
18) Lightly layer the tomato sauce over the egg mix.
19) Cover with shredded cheese.
20) Place tomato slices over the sauce.
21) Bake for an additional 10 minutes.

-- Serrano Pepper and Garlic Cloud Eggs --

22) Separate the whites and yolks from 2 eggs.
23) Whip the egg whites till they froth up and form peaks.
24) Fold in the garlic and 1 diced Serrano pepper.
25) Pre-heat the oven to 450F.
26) Oil a baking sheet.
27) Form two mounds of the whipped egg whites.
28) Form a depression in the center of each mound.
29) Bake for 5 to 10 minutes till the whites slightly brown.

-- Finish the Tomato Potato Egg Bake and Serve --

30) Top the tomato potato egg bake with the egg white clouds.
31) Carefully spoon the egg yolks in the depressions in each cloud.

full.jpg

32) Slice the egg bake into 2 halves when ready to serve.
33) Carefully plate each half.
34) Serve.

Potatoes, tomatoes and eggs are a great partnership. I'm not entirely sure I'd want polenta in the party but I do like the 'cloud' eggs on top.

The polenta made the whole dish sort of pizza-like. It really did well here. Note that I mixed the polenta with egg and not water. That helped give it a crusty solidity that made the show.

Cloud eggs are something new for me and this recipe and my 'Eggs Californian' recipe are the first times I have used the cloud egg technique. I learned something when I made them that I thing I would have prospered from when I did the 'Strawberry Coconut Crush and Meringue' recipe. The whisk attachment on my stick blender did very well for me on the cloud eggs. I did not use it on the 'Strawberry Coconut Crush with Meringue' recipe, but now, wish that I had. Whipping in a blender didn't cut it. I tried a hand whisk at first for the first attempt at cloud eggs and that didn't cut it either. The stick blender with the whisk attachment worked very well.

Potatoes, tomatoes and eggs are a great partnership. I'm not entirely sure I'd want polenta in the party but I do like the 'cloud' eggs on top.

Cloud eggs must be a British thing. I have seen them on British cooking videos on YouTube, but have no reference of them in the US. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you return the clouds with the yolks to the oven to partially cook the yolks? Or, do you leave the yolks raw?

CD

That is correct. Cloud eggs don't normally contain a raw egg yolk.

That's not correct. Cloud eggs can and do often, contain raw yolks. For those who have problems consuming raw egg white, it is ok to bake again for a short time to get the white cooked, but leave the yolk runny.

If you google around for cloud egg recipes, you'll find that they often use raw yolks.

It must simply have been the recipes I looked at then.

I looked at your example of a cloud egg on toast and understand why you find them dry. You clearly twice baked them, once without the yolk and again, later, with it. It looked dry to me. My examples were not dried out, but still moist and were not twice baked. The yolks were added raw, after the cloud whites were set in place.

I also noted that your example had the Parmesan cheese applied to the outside of the white and not folded in, prior to baking the white. I don't suppose that can be an issue as it is a choice, really. But most example recipes I researched, folded the ingredients in, just prior to baking.

I looked at your example of a cloud egg on toast and understand why you find them dry. You clearly twice baked them, once without the yolk and again, later, with it. It looked dry to me. My examples were not dried out, but still moist and were not twice baked. The yolks were added raw, after the cloud whites were set in place.

I also noted that your example had the Parmesan cheese applied to the outside of the white and not folded in, prior to baking the white. I don't suppose that can be an issue as it is a choice, really. But most example recipes I researched, folded the ingredients in, just prior to baking.

Honestly, its 4 years ago so I find it hard to remember exactly how they tasted. I just know I wasn't impressed. It might well be the way I cooked them. When I get time I'll make another attempt.

Honestly, its 4 years ago so I find it hard to remember exactly how they tasted. I just know I wasn't impressed. It might well be the way I cooked them. When I get time I'll make another attempt.

Cloud eggs are fairly easy to make. They can be whipped up and baked in about 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom