Using your slow cooker?

cookieee

Local time
4:19 AM
Made this 10 years ago today. My notes say it was "simple and easy and very delicious".

Chicken and Apples

6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
dash of ground nutmeg
dash of garlic powder
1 onion, chopped
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 TB. cornstarch

1. In a small bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, salt, marjoram, nutmeg and garlic powder.
2. Place onion in bottom of slow cooker.
3. Dip each chicken breast into orange juice mixture to coat. Place in slow cooker over onion.
4. Pour any remaining orange juice mixture over chicken.
5. Cover and cook on high 1 hour and then on low 2 hours.
6. Add apples and cook on low 1 hour.
7. Remove chicken, apples and onions to a serving platter.
8. Pour sauce that remains into a medium saucepan.
9. Stir together water and cornstarch. Stir into sauce
10. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly.
11. Serve sauce over chicken.
Makes 6 servings

Source: "Fix It and Forget It" cookbook

I like the combo of apples & chickn. In fact I'm planning an apple with partridge dish. My only thoughts here is that its a very long time to cook chicken breasts. 4 hours?

I use my slow cooker now and then - mostly for tougher cuts of meat though.

I like the combo of apples & chickn. In fact I'm planning an apple with partridge dish. My only thoughts here is that its a very long time to cook chicken breasts. 4 hours?

I use my slow cooker now and then - mostly for tougher cuts of meat though.
Slow cookers are just that. I didn't make any notations about the breasts being over cooked. And I sure don't remember that far back. lol We don't use ours very often but it sure gives DH a break when we do. A lot less mess to clean up after dinner.

I've had a "slow cooker" now for about 5 years, although it's considered a "multi-cooker".

Review - Philips HD 4746 Multicooker

I've probably used it on ten occasions during the time I've had it. It's not big enough for large batches of chilli con carne or curry but suffices for beef stew type dishes. It would be used much more frequently if we didn't also have a rice cooker.

I love my slow cooker and use it a lot. I used to have a traditional slow cooker which I used now and again, but like Yorky I now have a multi-cooker which I use much more often. I find it much better because you can saute ingredients in the pot before starting the slow cook, which saves on washing up :okay:

I last used mine yesterday: I made beef rendang using the slow cooker function (which I started off during my lunch break). And then in the evening I used the pressure cooker function to cook the rice to go with it. Both stainless steel inner pots then went straight into the dishwasher :happy:

I love my slow cooker and use it a lot. I used to have a traditional slow cooker which I used now and again, but like Yorky I now have a multi-cooker which I use much more often. I find it much better because you can saute ingredients in the pot before starting the slow cook, which saves on washing up :okay:

I last used mine yesterday: I made beef rendang using the slow cooker function (which I started off during my lunch break). And then in the evening I used the pressure cooker function to cook the rice to go with it. Both stainless steel inner pots then went straight into the dishwasher :happy:

Which model do you have? I keep thinking 'should I, shouldn't I?'

I'll be using it today to make a cheese dip.

I have a large slow cooker, but it comes with a second insert that's divided into two sections, so I can make smaller batches of things in it as well.

Which model do you have? I keep thinking 'should I, shouldn't I?'
I have an Instant Pot - I wrote a review here a couple of years ago :D Review - Instant Pot IP-LUX50 Electric Pressure Cooker/Multi Cooker
I still think its probably the best kitchen appliance I've ever bought - its certainly the most-used (apart from the hob and the kettle!).

I'm actually trying to justify buying the new baby one - it'd be perfect for when I'm only cooking enough for 2 people, or for taking away in the motorhome.

My slow cookers reside in the carport, both use hardwood for fuel or a combo of charcoal and wood. One weighs 500 lbs and has a side firebox, the other is dark green and is ceramic. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom