What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

Ive been thinking about making smashburgers and I think I want to buy some sort of press for the burgers when they're on the griddle or pan. Something like this:
Cuisinart Smashed Burger Press, Cast Iron CISB-111 Amazon.com
I just get my cast iron skillet smokin' hot and use my stainless steel spatula to squash the burger. Works like a charm!

Ahhh, yes that separated-by-the-same-language thing.

For us here in the US, this is a grill:

View attachment 98828
Weber

What you call a grill in the UK, we call a broiler.

Yeah, grill vs broiler vs BBQ is the most confusing difference in British vs American. We cook On a grill, not UNDER a grill. Brits refer to our grill as a BBQ.

CD

The George Foreman 25810 Medium Fit Grill is something I'll be getting soon just because you can cook your favourite dishes in under 6 minutes vs my current electric oven grill set at 230 degrees. It's also quite small which would save some vital space on my kitchen counter. I found it on amazon for only 30 quid here's a link incase you're curious.

.View attachment 98812
I didn't think that GF was still making grills. I thought he had stopped!! :eek:

We're still sifting through stuff after 18 months away. I know we're going to need some new sheet pans, because the ones I used for pizza yesterday were rustier than the Titanic. We're also going to chuck out a whole load of stuff in kitchen cupboards, drawers, etc. that has never been used.

We're still sifting through stuff after 18 months away. I know we're going to need some new sheet pans, because the ones I used for pizza yesterday were rustier than the Titanic. We're also going to chuck out a whole load of stuff in kitchen cupboards, drawers, etc. that has never been used.
Full-size sheet pans definitely won't even fit in my oven, not even half-size ones!! It's way too small for them! The only size that fits in there is the 1/4 size. The big roaster can fit in if it's at an angle. :whistling:

Putting this sandwich knife in the gadget thread as the tip makes butter ‘noodles’ to make spreading hard butter easier.
There are reviews saying they don’t like the new end but I’ve just had a go and it worked a treat.

The true test of its usefulness will be known when it’s in my bag and the butter has to be spread straight from the supermarket fridge onto the bread while it’s balancing on top of panniers 😂
If it’s rubbish it won’t make it back to Blighty as kitchen bag space is very precious!

Pretty sure the Victorinox will be a keeper. I’ve never had a bad Victorinox product 🤞 and this one’s way of encasing the blade is perfect for loose in a bag.
IMG_0264.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

Bit of a crossover into the picnic thread for this one.

I always favour round ended knives when travelling, they don’t look threatening and the laws in the UK around carrying a knife are quite strict, they probably are in some other countries too.

Last edited:
Putting this sandwich knife in the gadget thread as the tip makes butter ‘noodles’ to make spreading hard butter easier.
There are reviews saying they don’t like the new end but I’ve just had a go and it worked a treat.

Butter worms! Well, why not? I can see it could be useful...

The true test of its usefulness will be known when it’s in my bag and the butter has to be spread straight from the supermarket fridge onto the bread while it’s balancing on top of panniers 😂
If it’s rubbish it won’t make it back to Blighty as kitchen bag space is very precious!

Pretty sure the Victorinox will be a keeper. I’ve never had a bad Victorinox product 🤞 and this one’s way of encasing the blade is perfect for loose in a bag.
View attachment 100694
View attachment 100692
View attachment 100693

View attachment 100695
View attachment 100696
Bit of a crossover into the picnic thread for this one.

I always favour round ended knives when travelling, they don’t look threatening and the laws in the UK around carry a knife are quite strict, they probably are in some other countries too.

I have three Victorinox knives in my kitchen, and have been very happy with them. I've never seen the folding one, but don't know that I'd need it right now.

CD

I have three Victorinox knives in my kitchen, and have been very happy with them. I've never seen the folding one, but don't know that I'd need it right now.

CD

It's nothing particularly special, they call it a folding paring knife but its 11cm blade is a similar shape to their standard tomato knife just maybe fractionally wider.
Not sure how old my Victorinox kitchen knives are but at least 15 years old and still going strong.

I'm going the opposite way. I plan to put 20 or 30 kitchen knives on Ebay to find them a new home. The two knife drawers are loaded to the brim and far too heavy. I have more Chinese cleavers than most people have chef knives. I don't think I have ever used my Japanese Deba. I have a bunch of Wusthof and Shun knives that are never used. Time to clean house.

Back
Top Bottom