What did you cook/eat today (December 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had lunch from my favourite deli near where I work. It was pastrami on rye. Tonight its cheese omelettes for me and my friend with a rocket salad and oven chips washed down with red wine. Too tired to do much else. Only two days to go until we are both on holiday for four days!

Today I had lunch from my favourite deli near where I work. It was pastrami on rye. Tonight its cheese omelettes for me and my friend with a rocket salad and oven chips washed down with red wine. Too tired to do much else. Only two days to go until we are both on holiday for four days!
What is a rocket salad?
We are having pork chops, sweet potatoes and one other side dish.

What is a rocket salad?
I think you call rocket, arugula? Leaves which look a bit like baby dandelion leaves? They are really popular here (usually found pre-washed in salad bags). I like them 'cos they taste peppery and they seem to keep longer than some other salad leaves.

Brunch today at the end of the pier in Ramsgate. Absolutely brilliant. 1/2 dozen oysters first and then duck egg with brown shrimps:

DSCF3044.jpg

My first attempt at jackets in the halogen oven.

With mushroom sauce, pork sausage egg and tomato.

halogen jackets 5 s.jpg

yesterday I made up the traditional Greek Christmas biscuits. The only issue I came across was how long it took to actually get the mixture to bind together and it had to be done by hand because of the quantities involved. It is meant to use brandy, which I didn't have, so I used whisky instead, only I didn't have enough of that either and didn't want to mix blended scotch with a fine single malt whisky (opening a new bottle - that is for Christmas day). So one of the alternatives is to use a beer, hence the biscuits are now made with orange juice and whisky, plus black ale from NZ. It is meant to be 125ml orange juice (freshly squeezed from the one you use the rind of) and 125ml brandy or (no orange juice) 250 ml black ale. I ended up with 150ml freshly squeezed orange juice, 100ml blended whisky, plus around another 100ml or so of black ale. Oh well.

Anyhow - tomorrow (now that I have suitable containers that is) it is saturating them in the honey syrup solution in time to take some to a garden party/bbq at a diplomats house on Christmas eve afternoon (the diplomat is the partner of my OH's work college) and then the rest are ours.

IMG_7148.JPG
IMG_7150.JPG

They are not quite the same as the ones we had in Greece, but they are close and the longer they are left to mature the nicer they become and I can promise that they will get chance to mature because there is an awful lot of olive oil in there! Our waist lines are not going to appreciate them much, but then neither are our teeth! They are gorgeous and up until this point, they are actually vegan as well.... till I cover them in a honey syrup that is - I guess a vegan could use maple syrup, but that wouldn't be traditional. They are called melomakarona.

What is a rocket salad?
Rocket is a green leaf. I don't know why it is called rocket. Perhaps it grows quickly? My Dad used to grow chard in buckets and that used to grow very fast.

Tonight we had pasta with an olive, caper and tomato sauce. I used green and black olives chopped up with the capers. More rocket salad on the side.

How do you get the stipple effect?
You press them into the grater. I went for the ' large nutmeg ' one. don't know what it is called, but I guess you would take the rind of with it if it was a touch finer. I use the very fine grater bit for rind
You take a walnut sized piece of dough, make it into a ball, press it in to the grater to form a disc, roll both sides inwards, prise off carefully and turn over. it's aimed to aid the absorption of the honey syrup which is cooling right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom