What did you cook or eat today (April 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I had a yogurt for breakfast and leftover lasagna for lunch. Tonight I am going to do Panko and Parmesan encrusted chicken thighs, pan fried. Not sure what I am going to do for sides just yet, I will figure it out!

Today's lunch.
On the menu for DH
IMG_1536.JPG

Grilled Rosemary Ham, Swiss and sliced Hot Cherry Peppers on Rye Bread, a side of Potato Chips/Crisps and a diet Cola.

And for Moi
IMG_1537.JPG

Sweet Corn and Poblano Chile Tamale (from frozen, store bought).
YUM!

<edit - hmmm, after looking at DH's sandwich close up like this, I didn't get the cheese very melty, but he did proclaim it delicious several times, so there you go>

Went to a local Taiwanese place last night. They have quite an extensive menu so apart from the signature dish of braised beef in pastry known as the “Paulie Pie” which we get every time we go, we are working our way thru the menu.

Paulie Pies
Bok Choy & pork mince in oyster sauce
Pigs ears
Radish cakes
Pork ribs in sweet sour sauce

A56EE40A-6FD5-4A51-BFF1-6B5CE5F9069E.jpeg ED55176A-28C1-4BB3-8D90-4BA7F1961B64.jpeg

Well today was experimenting with recipes day. I mentioned that I made a tiramisu with babas instead of ladyfingers, simply because we generally have left over babas only being open 4 days a week. So made that a few days ago and it was meh or at least that was my opinion but everyone else loved it. I used whipped cream because it holds better in a restaurant setting and is very popular done that way. Didn't like it and I have to admit I've only ever made 1 before and it was a lifetime ago.

A more appropriate and traditional tiramisu is made from egg whites and not whipped cream, so today I made another using egg whites. Huge difference and I must say it was incredibly better. The problem with egg whites is shelf life and I'll have to load our pastry/garde chef with extra work because it will only keep for 2 days at most while the whipped cream lasts twice as long but it is what it is.

The other recipe was a twice baked cheese souffle using gouda that I smoked a few days ago. I'm quite familiar with souffles but I wanted one that I could bake, refrigerate then put back in the oven during service as an appetizer to replace the Waldorf (ish) salad. Anyway it worked out pretty well. I sauteed shallot and fresh thyme in a little butter and added that to the batter along with some nutmeg for extra flavor and that worked out very well. My mistake was after buttering the ramekins I floured them, which was a mistake. Anyway after I cooked them in a baine marie and refrigerated them I had difficulty with them sticking to the bottom of the molds, not good, nevertheless for tasting purposes and the fact that more cheese is put on the top then put back in the oven for 6 or 7 minutes and I added a cheese tuile to rest on top to the be broken up with a tap of the fork isn't the end of the world, but it still bothered me. I used mustard greens and radish sprouts along with julienned granny smith and radishes in a mustard, honey and apple cider vinaigrette and roasted hazelnuts.

Tomorrow I'm making them for service for the weekend but instead of the melted butter and brushed for the ramekins I'm going to use room temp butter and apply that way and instead of flour I'm going to use a golden crumb which is basically bread with the crusts cut off then made into a crumb in the food processor, then fried to a golden color. The souffles should release easily.

If I remember I'll take a few pictures and post them but I have a bad habit of forgetting to do things like that lol. Cheers

Last edited:
Dinner

IMG_1538.JPG

Bacon enrobed Meatloaf

IMG_1539.JPG

With freshly mashed Russet Potato with oodles of cream and butter (sshhhh 🤫 don't tell DH, he claims to detest butter and anything creamy) and some steamed Haricot Verts.
I got a big thumbs up on this meal ... phew !
I love mashed potatoes and it's taken me more than 30 years to get it to where DH likes them and will eat them!
I like chunky, he likes them whipped "like Mom made it" ... I never got to meet her, she pasted before we wed.
I had given up and stopped making them, until a few years ago... making them mostly just for me, but I've found that happy medium.

I ended up cooking my parmesan panko encrusted chicken thighs in the air fryer. They were excellent! I made chunky red skin mashed potatoes with cream, butter, salt and pepper and some thin asparagus spears lightly sauteed. Yummy!

Brutal day. I grabbed a Crispy Chicken Sandwich from McD's today while running around. It is the sandwich they brought out to compete with Chik-fil-a and Popeye's. It was quite possibly the worst chicken sandwich I have ever eaten.

To add insult to injury, a block further down the road was a Popeye's. :facepalm:

CD

Pear chutney sounds good. Could I get a recipe please?
I wrote it up back at the beginning of March

Recipe - Spiced Pear Chutney

I'm also making my own pear cider vinegar. I've not yet written that process up but it is basically the same as Apple cider vinegar only made with pears. It transpires that any sugary fruit can be used including melon peel and so on. I'm refining the process at present. I've got 2 basic recipes, one using the peel and core that doesn't get used when making the chutney or anything else (crumble etc) and one that uses whole (grated) fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom