What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cooked a large 800 g ground beef&pork batch of pasta sauce, with tomato sauce. we were good for yesterday and today. I delivered the food to family members.
I took the time to do it nice and slow, and am very happy to how it tastes.

If we are not rushed, will take a pic at lunch.

Plan is to take my daughter out for a cake, to celebrate her restart of volleyball training, after a month of broken toe recovery. She is doing great.

Plan is to take my daughter out for a cake, to celebrate her restart of volleyball training, after a month of broken toe recovery. She is doing great.

My broken toe took a long time to completely heal. Mine broke completely through. I could walk okay after about a month, but if I put too much stress on it, it would hurt -- a sudden, sharp pain. She may want to keep that toe wrapped to another toe for a while.

CD

My broken toe took a long time to completely heal. Mine broke completely through. I could walk okay after about a month, but if I put too much stress on it, it would hurt -- a sudden, sharp pain. She may want to keep that toe wrapped to another toe for a while.

CD
I am sorry to hear it took longer...I hope you no longer have pain? Her doc said to remove the wrap after 14 days, so that is what we did. She has zero pain for a while now. She could walk normally for over 2 weeks now, and had done the runs on Wed and Fri trainings just fine. Her muscles are sore now, quite understandablx so...but I am so grateful and happy that she is back and good on her feet.

it might be different for adults...my toe, although I have no idea if its was broken, I think not, still hurts a very tiny bit at certain positions, but I can walk normally and the rest will heal with time I suppose...

To keep it food related and on track, I forgot to mention I had oat crackers, store bought, surprisingly good. Had them plain, and by the end of the work day with some salami, also good.

I am thinking of buying fruit at work locally and keeping it near the desk, that way I have one load less to carry over from home.

Reminds me of my daughter and me, she cooks an omelette, or scrambled eggs, but I get to wash the pan...or at least 8/10 times this is the case. And like you, I do not like it.
Yeah, but I'd rather wash it myself, that way it is clean.

CD
I don't know how old you were, but kids do heal faster. Also depends on what kind of break and which toe. My toe (2nd from the big toe) took 2 months before I could walk properly and I had to wear a boot for 6 weeks. My podiatrist told me when it happened that I should just let him remove the joint because it would be arthritic for the rest of my life--I didn't let him and it isn't. But it doesn't bend like it used to.

My podiatrist told me when it happened that I should just let him remove the joint because it would be arthritic for the rest of my life--I didn't let him and it isn't. But it doesn't bend like it used to.
You're lucky. I broke mine as a kid and not only can I not bend it (using it's muscles though I can flex it with fingers) it isn't what it was and has now been confirmed as (osteo) arthritic. It hurts from time to time but compared to my hips is nothing. I have found for me that I can reduce the issues with it by wearing stuff soled boots all the time. But in summer it's too hot for that so I have to just cope the pain (I just wear the boots when it flares up on summer). Sooner or later i suspect my surgeon will fuse it. Just got the other hip to do first!

You're lucky. I broke mine as a kid and not only can I not bend it (using it's muscles though I can flex it with fingers) it isn't what it was and has now been confirmed as (osteo) arthritic. It hurts from time to time but compared to my hips is nothing. I have found for me that I can reduce the issues with it by wearing stuff soled boots all the time. But in summer it's too hot for that so I have to just cope the pain (I just wear the boots when it flares up on summer). Sooner or later i suspect my surgeon will fuse it. Just got the other hip to do first!
I don't know how you managed to cycle all over the planet!

I was about 42 when I broke mine. Mine was shattered in splinters at the joint. I was running up some concrete steps in flip flops in the rain to drop off a video (remember vcr tapes) and I slipped. My foot jammed forward hard into the concrete step. That toe was bent in half sideways. Blood was spurting out and bone splinters were poking out of the skin. It was horrific. I am a firm believer that blood should remain on the inside of the body, 😆. Thankfully my husband was driving me. It was 4 pm on a Friday and his buddy from high school was a podiatrist. Hubby called him and he told us to come by, he had just seen his last patient for the day. He was willing to stay late and do the surgery but I just told him to set it the best he could, so he numbed me up, straightened it out, taped it and gave me a boot. You're right I was lucky, somehow those bone splinters fused together and it looks fairly normal. Doc Woods was completely shocked when I came back for my checkup.

My sister needs both hips replaced. She got our mother's hips. She's 6 years older than I am. I haven't had issues yet, hoping I'll be lucky there, too.

Last edited:
Usually by just averaging 80km/day but the longest day was 147km. That was hard!
Especially with the toe situation, ouch!

I put a lot of miles in on horseback. It's a little easier, lol. Plus one really gets a chance to take in the scenery. When I was a little kid living on the island of Okinawa, my dad paid an old man from the village $5 a day to take me riding. He would come by twice a week and we rode all over that island. I remember the temples, tombs, cliffs, caves, beaches, and kudzu. Beautiful place. When we moved back to the USA to Florida, I had horses and loved riding in the woods, I would go on long trail rides and pack a lunch.

I guess it's a lot easier to travel abroad with a bicycle, lol. I bet you've seen some amazing places!

Especially with the toe situation, ouch!

I put a lot of miles in on horseback. It's a little easier, lol. Plus one really gets a chance to take in the scenery. When I was a little kid living on the island of Okinawa, my dad paid an old man from the village $5 a day to take me riding. He would come by twice a week and we rode all over that island. I remember the temples, tombs, cliffs, caves, beaches, and kudzu. Beautiful place. When we moved back to the USA to Florida, I had horses and loved riding in the woods, I would go on long trail rides and pack a lunch.

I guess it's a lot easier to travel abroad with a bicycle, lol. I bet you've seen some amazing places!

I cycled in the same boots I wear now. In fact the old set only wore out a couple of years ago. They were my second set of them bought in the Lofoten Islands in Norway where i needed to see a cycling physio. Turned out he actually was a cycling for the Norwegian professional cycling team! He helped considerably.

Denmark is an excellent place for horseback touring btw. They have a network of free campsites that run through all of Denmark. The only rule is that you're not allowed to arrive by vehicle! Some are setup for horse riders and have dedicated fields to overnight your horse. Others include arriving by kayak. All include foot & bike arrivals.
(My sister had her own horse, so I know a reasonable amount about it because it was the best way to see her. Her horse was a jumper big time and my sister fearless. It was not uncommon for her horse to turn up back at the stables when they tried to leave very in a field... she'd just clear the hedgerow or the gate and trot back. It became a bit of a problem to be honest!

And yes you some amazing places though we didn't make it to Australia, hence when the opportunity came to be paid to live and work in Australia we took it.

Due to the special circumstances our friends from the Italian restaurant served pancakes today ( see more about the special circumstances in the covid thread) so I had an Apple & cheese topped pancake. Syrup not pictured. Lots of people out and about town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom