What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you realize that the original chili con carne, invented in Texas and called "Texas Red," has no tomatoes in it? None.

Nothing "abnormal" about chili without tomatoes. That's the OG chili.

CD
No I didn't know, only Ever seen it with tomatoes in it. Cheers.

Moules et Frites for lunch. Total yumster!

Leftovers for me last night, and probably tonight and tomorrow night. I need to eat what I've already cooked before I cook anything new. That's the tough part of cooking for one -- lots of leftovers.

CD
It's tough for two also, but I have lots of Pyrex containers and I freeze batches for later.

When cooking for a challenge you can scale down the recipe and put an explanation in the notes.

I would never, ever think of making a chilli-con-carne without tomatoes (pronounced tomatoes). But I'm not Texan; in fact I've only been to Texas once and the chilli-con-carne in Houston was tasteless.
Yeah, its not just Texas. My cousin's wife (they live in Phoenix, AZ) is Mexican-American. Her chili doesn't have tomatoes in it, either. Also no beans and she uses chunks of beef instead of ground. It's her grandmother's recipe. It's fantastic.

I don't think Houston is a good representation of Texas in many ways. It's coastal and humid. I've been there dozens of times ,(one of my brothers lives there) and I've only dined in restaurants there twice. I had seafood both times. I have a sister over in Austin, TX. She doesn't cook, so we generally went out to eat. Great Tex-Mex food there.

Today's breakfast was a breakfast wrap project, - bratwurst, egg and cheese breakfast wrap.

Oops! This man's shaky old hands made a mess out of slicing up the first wrap, so the second just got stuffed and rolled with everything that was left to stuff in.

Ordered all new appliances yesterday and with the anticipated snow day here, I emptied out the freezer of the random selections of meats/sausages and made a big ole batch of Bolognese to share with the neighbor, my fiance and her mom.

Italian sausage (hot), ground wild boar, I roasted off some beef ribs then pulled the meat to add, ground beef, and the last of the venison. We have the meats! Also a batch of stuffin' muffins because why not?

Next up, project "gotta' go" and see what I can turn the randomness of the fridge contents into.

bolo2.jpg

Ordered all new appliances yesterday and with the anticipated snow day here, I emptied out the freezer of the random selections of meats/sausages and made a big ole batch of Bolognese to share with the neighbor, my fiance and her mom.

Italian sausage (hot), ground wild boar, I roasted off some beef ribs then pulled the meat to add, ground beef, and the last of the venison. We have the meats! Also a batch of stuffin' muffins because why not?

Next up, project "gotta' go" and see what I can turn the randomness of the fridge contents into.

View attachment 79379
Looks great! You'll have to post about the new appliances when they arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom