What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I also prepared Lebkuchen (like gingerbread) for Christmas, because I heard the best Lebkuchen has to rest about two months before baking it and another six months after baking it.
I agree with the other members, that you could absolutely, if you change your mind, enter the fried icecream! Maybe there is just nother way of eating it, it is not about how you eat it, it is about the wonderful idea of it! My kid loves fried icecream, its her fav when we eat in a Chinese style diner...which we have not for quite some time, so I might give it a go at home...
(Don't ask me how our kitchen floor looked after eating the Fajitas for lunch:roflmao:, and I'm not gonna tell you, but... it was messy...who cares, we clean it and its done)

I agree that one shouldn't hold back from making an entry just because it is messy. I would not enter something that is creative, but doesn't taste good to me. That would not be honest to a judge who can't taste the food. But, being messy isn't the same as not tasting good.

CD

I fixed me a salad today (again) and will later do another recipe challenge.

full.jpg

This is an anchovy leafy layered salad using Romaine lettuce, celery, lemon grass, cucumber, onion, Anaheim pepper, mushrooms, tomato, anchovies and bleu cheese dressing.

Thank you all for the compliments, I could write a recipe and also enter it, but my head just said no after eating it, I wouldn't even suggest you trying it, the burger was way too much and felt not round while eating.
I didn't think it was a bad photo - I just wanted to know what was in the escalope as I really like the idea. Do you have a recipe?
Blanch the stems in salted water until they are quite soft but not mushy, let them cool down until you can touch them, coat them in flour, then in some seasoned whisked mix of eggyolk and cream (our was seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cumin, paprica, cayenne, lemon cest, parmegiano, worcester sauce), then coat them in panko/breadcrumbs and deep fry them to your desired crispness.
I love the idea! The pastry looks as if its battered. Is that how puff pastry looks if its deep fried?
It was my first time deep frying puff pastry and I imagined something more fluffy, crescent like, but it was very crispy what I liked a lot, and no it wasn't battered, just the plain selfmade dough. Stay healthy

Here's is my deep fried ice cream burger. I won't enter it as an entry for the challenge as mentioned before, because it was a total mess eating it. if you're interested please read the spoiler.
first problem was the bun. My plan was to deep fry two pieces of french puff pastry and I didn't manage to roll out a high quality puff pastry which can be used for crescents, so I ended up with low quality puff pastry. That wasn't by far a big problem, but the next failure was the amount of ice cream I've used, it was about 225g, as my burger shaper (a terracotta creme brulee dish) could hold that much and after I tried some good bites the frozen ice cream hit my bad teeth while the outer layer melted into liquid. It was still entertaining to eat that burger
View attachment 60873
Good on you for giving this a go. I love fried icecream, and have been to Asian countries where icecream sandwiches are a thing. So a fried icecream sandwich is a great concept.

When I make fried icecream, I double coat it, firstly in madeira cake, then in breadcrumbs, refreezing for a day after applying each layer.

CBFF4DBD-212C-493D-BFC7-534720B7670F.jpeg

Blueberry muffins, as far as the eye can see. I don’t normally make sweet things, but after making my Bacon Bunty, my wife asked if I can make something sweet for a change. LOL. There are 3 cups of blueberries distributed between the 24 muffins. Yep: I like blueberries just a little bit. I will post a recipe later.

Neither mate at present. I was just joking because I forgot to take a pic of the weekday pud Blood oranges.
Mrs B is making a twist on the Croatian national pud palacinke or pancakes for my weekend treat. The twist is she will make a chocolate ganache mixed with ground hazelnuts. Spread the mixture on the pancakes and stack to make a cake. We got some excellent stewing veal yesterday. I brown it with onions and carrots. It is bubbling away in the slow cooker with dried reconstituted porcini mushrooms and their liquid. Tomorrow I will make a monsta meat pie inspired by LissaC

I can smell that from here. I know it's going to be good.!!

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom