What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

We stopped at four places. At the market with the corn, they were bringing it in fresh from the field. The strawberry jam was made in-shop with their own strawberries as well.

Time to go for groceries ...

Beverages:

Beer, Dark Maerzen
Kahlua
Root Beer Soda

Dairy:

Cheese, Cream
Cheese, Edam
Ice Cream, (Toffee)
Ice Cream, (Vanilla)

Fruit:

Apple Sauce
Apples
Dates, Medjool
Guava
Persimmons
Pomegranate
* Something New * (Durian, Feijoa, Star Fruit, Sapodilla)

Grain:

Hot Dog Buns

Meat:

Canadian Bacon
Crab, Dungeness
Lamb, Stewing
Pastrami
Salami, Genoa

Processed Foods:

Pizza Rolls, Pepperoni or Combination

Sweets:

Toblerone Candy Bar

Vegetables:

Endives
Horse Radish, Whole
Water Melon

Specialty Items:

Mirugai (Giant Pacific Geoduck Clam)
Uni (if I can find it)

Exotic or Online Food Items:

Frog Legs
Mushrooms, Enoki
Pheasant
Tuna, Bluefin, Belly Meat

We went to the farmers market yesterday. Almost out of honey so picked up some Florida wildflower honey, 36 ounces for $17. Craig used to buy it from a place where honey was the by product, they made beeswax candles. That was pre accident though and it's too far away to make a trip just for honey. It started out years ago at 13 for a half gallon, but was up to 21 the last time he bought it.

Also picked up some Silver Queen corn and peaches from New Jersey. Baby bok choy for a Ramen bowl. Craig picked out some beautiful poblanos and tomatillos. A pretty little red bell as well. Only things growing here now are natives and other hot weather friendly fruits and veges.

We went to the farmers market yesterday. Almost out of honey so picked up some Florida wildflower honey, 36 ounces for $17. Craig used to buy it from a place where honey was the by product, they made beeswax candles. That was pre accident though and it's too far away to make a trip just for honey. It started out years ago at 13 for a half gallon, but was up to 21 the last time he bought it.

Also picked up some Silver Queen corn and peaches from New Jersey. Baby bok choy for a Ramen bowl. Craig picked out some beautiful poblanos and tomatillos. A pretty little red bell as well. Only things growing here now are natives and other hot weather friendly fruits and veges.

I had a terrible time finding tomatillos this week. I found some at Sprouts, but they looked like they fell off the truck on the way to the store. Kroger had some that were decent, but no impressive. I need them for an egg challenge entry -- hopefully not the same dish you bought yours for. :wink:

I haven't had Jersey white corn since we moved away in 1971. That stuff was good.

CD

I had a terrible time finding tomatillos this week. I found some at Sprouts, but they looked like they fell off the truck on the way to the store. Kroger had some that were decent, but no impressive. I need them for an egg challenge entry -- hopefully not the same dish you bought yours for. :wink:

I haven't had Jersey white corn since we moved away in 1971. That stuff was good.

CD

He doesn't know what he's making with the anchos and tomatillos yet.

ETA: He just decided. He's going to take 1 of the pieces of brisket we had to trim off to get the right size for the Cook's Country snake method when we grilled/smoked the brisket and braise it with the above.

Last edited:
Earlier I had to go to an Indian shop, to buy paneer and I literally stumbled onto the original date and tamarind chutney I havnt been able to find. I bought two jars, this stuff is the best ever, the substitutes I've been using are ok , but this stuff is good. The more I think about it I need to go back and buy more. It's that good.
Maybe tomorrow while I'm out with the butcher.

Russ

I´ve got no idea how tamarind arrived in Venezuela, but it´s here; there are trees everywhere. I go to the supermarket and buy blocks of tamarind paste, which I convert into my own Tamarind Chutney. OMG - just too good .
I wasn´t going shopping today, but decided I was a bit short of unsalted butter, which I bought from my local grocery store and used to make chocolate-covered shortbread.

I´ve got no idea how tamarind arrived in Venezuela, but it´s here; there are trees everywhere. I go to the supermarket and buy blocks of tamarind paste, which I convert into my own Tamarind Chutney. OMG - just too good .
I wasn´t going shopping today, but decided I was a bit short of unsalted butter, which I bought from my local grocery store and used to make chocolate-covered shortbread.

I also have a block of it, it's good but this stuff is next level. Once tried it is loved, all my grandkids love it as well. We used to get it at a place that was demolished due to quakes.
I'll keep it just in case? The block that is, it's in the fridge.

Russ

My local Kroger has always had prosciutto in stock. It is Boar's Head prosciutto.

Prosciutto di Parma | Boar's Head

CD
I always had to go to "the big Kroger" 40 minutes away to get it or pancetta. It's the Private Selection brand, which will do in a pinch.

Still can't get pancetta in town, but maybe soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom