Recipe Beef Wellington (alternative take)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
12:16 AM
Ingredients

Single fillet beef steak (about 250 gms).
6 Shiitake mushrooms
4 Shallots or small red onions
6 Cloves of garlic
1½ tblsp Prepared English mustard
2 Slices cooked ham
1 Egg, beaten to a wash
Puff pastry

Method

Sear the fillet steak with a blowlamp until charred on all sides. Allow the steak to rest and cool.

4 s.jpg

Finely chop the mushrooms, shallots and garlic and stir fry in hot olive oil for about 5 minutes to make the duxelles. Remove from the pan and keep aside to cool.

Lay one slice of the ham on a cutting board. Spread half of the duxelles over the ham in an even thickness.

Place the cooled fillet steak on top of the duxelles.

Coat the steak in the prepared mustard.

Spread the remaining duxelles over the mustard.

Lay the second slice of ham on the duxelles.

Beef-Wellington.gif

Roll out the pastry and wrap the steak completely, sealing with a little egg wash.

Score the pastry with the back of a knife and brush the remaining egg wash over all sides of the wrapped steak. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate overnight.

Encased s.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Remove the clingfilm, place the steak on a baking tray and bake until brown, turning once.

Cooked and sliced 4 s.jpg

Ingredients

6 Shiitake mushrooms
6 Cloves of garlic
2 Slices cooked ham
1 Egg, beaten to a wash
Puff pastry

Method

Sear the fillet steak with a blowlamp until charred on all sides. Allow the steak to rest and cool.

Finely chop the mushrooms, shallots and garlic and stir fry in hot olive oil for about 5 minutes to make the duxelles. Remove from the pan and keep aside to cool.

Lay one slice of the ham on a cutting board. Spread half of the duxelles over the ham in an even thickness.

Roll out the pastry and wrap the steak completely, sealing with a little egg wash.

Score the pastry with the back of a knife and brush the remaining egg wash over all sides of the wrapped steak. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate overnight.

View attachment 29082

Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Remove the clingfilm, place the steak on a baking tray and bake until brown, turning once.

View attachment 29083

Temp and how long please??

Russ

Ingredients

6 Shiitake mushrooms
6 Cloves of garlic
2 Slices cooked ham
1 Egg, beaten to a wash
Puff pastry

Method

View attachment 29082

View attachment 29083

In your estimation @Yorky , how much did the mustard affect the overall taste of the Beef Wellington?

I kept the temperature at 180 degC and considered it cooked when the pastry was a colour to my liking. That was in the halogen oven.

Effectively only the pastry was cooking. The ham was already cooked as were the duxelles. The steak had been seared which was sufficient cooking for my taste.

Beef Welington is my favorite special occasion dish. I use Gordon Ramsay's recipe with modifications based on availability.
I use prosciutto instead of Parma.
I use a combination of baby bella and reconstituted porcini mushrooms for the Duxelle.
I use English mustard if I have it. If not I use whole grain creole mustard.
There is nothing more luxurious than Beef Welington

Back
Top Bottom