Coronation Food

Making another one on saturday?

I'm considering trying my hand at the scones..
No, Saturday will be just the afternoon tea. I’ll be making those scones, as well as egg mayonnaise & roast beef sandwiches, and muesli balls & vanilla custard-and-raspberry desserts for the top layer, as well as a special Coronation cocktail to start with.

Here’s the video:

View: https://youtu.be/shLER9NdIWU

I zipped to the end and did a little googling, and it appears that’s not a restaurant, but a property on the market (at that time), as the Debbie Murray he thanks is a realtor at Allie Beth Realty, whom he also thanks.

I couldn't tell anything from the video. Judging by where his catering company is, he may actually live in Frisco.

CD

Yes - I sometimes watch “The Royal Chef” Darren McGrady, who cooked for the royal family and then for Princess Diana and “the boys” until her death, and he tells a lot of stories about QE2’s overall disinterest in food. She had her favorites, she loved afternoon tea and had that every day, even when traveling, but her tastes were rooted in her generational upbringing - hence the well-done steak (and beef Wellington).

He tells stories about how Philip, who was very much the opposite, sort of enjoyed it when she wasn’t having dinner at home, because then they could have more diverse and unusual things.

BTW, caseydog, he’s based out of Dallas (he owns a catering company), and at least one of his videos, he shot at a friend’s restaurant kitchen in Frisco.
Basic rule in Britain. If anyone starts name dropping the Royal family and uses their association to promote themselves then they are taken as idiots and ridiculed. Hence why, like Paul Burrell they end up in America flogging their taudry boasts.

Basic rule in Britain. If anyone starts name dropping the Royal family and uses their association to promote themselves then they are taken as idiots and ridiculed. Hence why, like Paul Burrell they end up in America flogging their taudry boasts.
I do laugh at his videos a little, because a normal spiel goes something like this:

“Hi! It’s the Royal Chef here, and today, I’ll show you how I made mushy peas when I was a royal chef at Buckingham Palace for 13 years, and personal chef for Lady Diana and the two royal princes!”

That gets worked into every video…three or four times. I don’t have a problem with it, he’s got to earn a living (and is apparently earning quite a nice one), and that’s what his niche is. He’s also got two cookbooks out, and he’s just started franchising fish-and-chip food trucks.

When I first started watching his videos, it was for fun more than anything else. He’s very campy and goofy and his usual sidekick is a stuffed corgi named Winston (of course), but after a few, and listening to one of his Q&A videos, it’s obvious pretty quickly that apart from his constant references to the royal family and repeated comments about buying this or buying that (he also has a line of pre-fab spice blends), he knows his stuff, so now I make fun of him less. :laugh:

One interesting thing…in the last season/series of The Crown, Diana attempts to make an omelette, fails and ends up making scrambled eggs, and then says, “I’m sorry, but Darren usually leaves me sticky notes with instructions,” and she was referencing him. That was kind of funny.

That gets worked into every video…three or four times. I don’t have a problem with it, he’s got to earn a living (and is apparently earning quite a nice one), and that’s what his niche is. He’s also got two cookbooks out, and he’s just started franchising fish-and-chip food trucks.

If you have a resume like his, use it!

He settled in a good place to make money... Dallas, Texas. His catering business is located in the Richardson area, 18 miles South of my home. That's a good location, putting him close to a lot of corporate customers in Dallas, Plano and Frisco.

CD

1683298089807-png.png

I just posted this. Not my recipe, but I plan to make it.

Recipe - Coronation Chicken Salad Sandwich

I'd rather eat this sandwich than watch Charles have the crown placed on his head.

One interesting thing…in the last season/series of The Crown, Diana attempts to make an omelette, fails and ends up making scrambled eggs, and then says, “I’m sorry, but Darren usually leaves me sticky notes with instructions,” and she was referencing him. That was kind of funny.

I haven't watched the latest season of The Crown (I'm just starting Season 3), but now you've ruined the ending for me. 😡

Fortunately, I just read that a Season 6 just finished filming, so hopefully they'll get the whole royals-making-omelettes situation sorted.

Egg mayonnaise done…vanilla-raspberry possets done. Tomorrow, I’ll just have to assemble the sandwiches and make the scones.

Who is Paul burrel?

Back
Top Bottom