Nostalgia foods

Here is one from my youth -- New Jersey Boardwalk Salt Water Taffy. No salt in it. Sold on every Boardwalk in NJ. I can get it at the State Fair of Texas, but that's only once a year.

View attachment 55410

CD

How does it look as sold? Its reminds me of 'seaside rock' in the UK.

1611171637434.png

How does it look as sold? Its reminds me of 'seaside rock' in the UK.

View attachment 55411
It's the wrapped candy pic posted. It's soft, like a caramel, not hard like a rock candy.

caseydog - do you mean you can get just that particular brand of taffy once a year? I can get taffy like that just about anywhere here, but I don't know if it's salt-free.

I'll check next time I'm in town - if it's salt-free and you can't get it, I'll send you a load of it!

It's the wrapped candy pic posted. It's soft, like a caramel, not hard like a rock candy.

caseydog - do you mean you can get just that particular brand of taffy once a year? I can get taffy like that just about anywhere here, but I don't know if it's salt-free.

I'll check next time I'm in town - if it's salt-free and you can't get it, I'll send you a load of it!

It doesn't matter the brand, I've only seen it at the State Fair. They have a couple of taffy pulling machines, and make it on site.

CD

I posted two pictures, I only see one link in your reply. I posted the wrapped finished product picture a few minutes after the taffy puller picture. Maybe you looked in that small gap of time. Look again.

CD

OK - I see it now. It does indeed look like little pieces of seaside rock. Traditionally, it has letters running through it of the place where its sold.

1611218620665.png

Pizza has its origins with flat breads going so far back in time that nobody can pin the origin of Pizza to an exact date. Back in those ancient times, flat breads were common and people would top them with things, sort of like a large open face sandwich - ha ha. The word Pizza is not an American invention or Canadian. It dates back to 997 AD Italy.

Pizzas first appeared in the USA in the late 19th century and in Canada, 1948. Apparently, Canada played a big role in evolving New World Pizza. Pizza chain restaurants began in 1954 in the USA with Shakey's Pizza in Sacramento, CA.

Pizza Wiki

There have recently been a number of posts regarding Cook Books.

Anybody remember the Betty Crocker Brand and Cook Books?

Betty Crocker was a fictional character created in 1921 and Betty Crocker Cook Books were first published in 1930.

Betty Crocker Wiki

I had to read that wiki to understand that Betty Crocker was a fictional character.

Whenever I visit my native region (the north-east of England), I almost inevitably have some stottie cake. It's not cake at all, but a heavy type of bread. A personal favourite is the cheese savoury, which is a stottie containing cheese and coleslaw.

The name derives from how it is made - in Geordie dialect, "stot" means to bounce. There is a story - how true, I know not - that cooks would "stot" their bread to check the texture. The word is still in common use - if it's raining heavily, you're sure to hear someone remark, "It's stottin' doon!"

Beer in the Americas predates the arrival of Europeans. Native peoples brewed Beer from Corn, Birch Tree Sap and Water. The first Beer in North America by Europeans is known to date back to 1587 and the first commercial brewery started in 1632.

The oldest know brewing of Beer dates back to the 5th millennium BC in Iran and China, but the brewing of Beer in China may date back to 7000 BC. It may have been brewed in Europe about the same time frame, but is more specifically noted as Iron Age Beer dating to around 3000 BC.

In the 7th century AD, brewing Beer was dominated by Christian monasteries in Europe. A fermented Beer has been postulated to be the Biblical 'mana from heaven'.

Talking of pizza, mr8 fave food, I just asked him what he wants for lunch,( he had pizza yesterday) he replied a pizza sandwhich please.
He will be getting a steak n cheese pie.

Russ

Burritos have been found to date back to 10,000 years BC in Meso-America. These were originally Tortillas wrapped around vegetable or fruits. The Pueblo Native Americans of what is now the Southwestern US were the peoples who began wrapping Meat in Tortillas in a way that resembles what is known today as the Burrito, as well as Tacos.

Burritos made their debut in American restaurants in the 1930s.

Burrito Wiki

Kellogs Pop Tarts made their debut in 1964.

Pop Tarts Wiki
My wife loves blueberry pop tarts.

When I was way overweight, just about my favorite treat was to take two brown sugar-cinnamon pop tarts, smear butter a over the pastry side, then microwave until it all melted into one buttery-sugary-cinnamony glop. 😋

Back
Top Bottom