Recipe Spicy crab pappardelle

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:07 AM
Cromer crab from North Norfolk is in season now in the UK. They are not really big crabs but they are the sweetest I’ve ever tasted. Crab pasta recipes often use linguini but I rather like to use generous fat ribbons of pappardelle to contrast with the delicate crabmeat. Capers add a special floral tang to this spicy dish.

fullsizeoutput_8330.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8335.jpeg

Ingredients
140 g pappardelle
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 heaped tsp grated garlic
2 tsp chilli flakes (I used Aleppo chilli)
Zest of 1 lemon
Splash of white wine
2 tbsp capers
1 heaped tbsp chopped dill (plus a little to garnish)
120g crabmeat (use both brown and white meat)

Method
  1. Add the pappardelle to a large pan of boiling salted water. Simmer for 15 mins or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
  2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook gently for a few minutes and then add the chilli flakes, lemon zest and a splash of white wine.
  3. Add the capers, dill and crabmeat plus a little of the pasta water. Stir carefully to form a sauce.
  4. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss/turn the pasta to coat in the sauce.
  5. If you have intact crab claw meat, use to garnish.

fullsizeoutput_8334.jpeg

Looks and sounds great!

I think that those crabs resemble Dungeness crab (pictured below) from the NW US Pacific region.

1687039002211.png
1687039068846.png

Last edited:
Dungeness, Kent
First time I heard " Dungeness" crab, I wondered why Americans would go to the bother of importing crabs all the way from Kent, UK.

I can't tell from MG's photos what kind of crab that looks like. I've had Dungeness crab in Northern California, and it is pretty darned good. But, I like every kind of crab I've had. NO KRAB, though (imitation crab). Do they sell that 💩 in Europe? Venezuela?

CD

NO KRAB, though (imitation crab). Do they sell that 💩 in Europe? Venezuela?
Oh yeah. I think they sell the stuff everywhere there's a Sushi restaurant :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Can't say I've ever eaten Venezuelan crab. Two reasons. Firstly, crabs here tend to be rather small, so you get only a tiny amount of meat from each one. Secondly, health concerns. I've seen too many "food poisoning" headlines to want to try it!

I can't tell from MG's photos what kind of crab that looks like.

Its probably similar in appearance to US Dungeness crab but a lot smaller. See here:

1687208676537.png

Cromer crabs are brown crabs that are caught off the Northern coast of Norfolk around Cromer village. The chalk shelf and nutrient-rich waters in this region make for a particularly flavoursome, tender and fragrant crab. These are well-meated and have a relatively high proportion of white to brown meat. There are lots of delicious ways to use this crab in recipes, but arguably it is best eaten caught that day, freshly dressed with a squeeze of lemon, milled black pepper and home-made mayonnaise.

Cromer crabs have been caught in the region for centuries, an industry which lures tourists from around the world to come and sample this delectable fresh crab with its uniquely delicate flavour. The crabbing is done with pots, which is a traditional and highly sustainable way of catching, since the crabs are caught live and can be checked that they meet legal requirements of size before being taken ashore, or thrown back alive if not. This ensures that all crabs have at least one breeding season before they are eaten. The crabbing industry is an important part of Cromer and surrounding villages for providing employment and income, and the Cromer and Sheringham Crab and Lobster Festival is held annually to celebrate this wonderful part of the region’s culinary traditions.
Cromer Crab - Slow Food in the UK

Hey MG, are those IKEA plates? They look exactly like mine.

They came from Waitrose supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom