The CookingBites recipe challenge: nuts or seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to go back through this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. Then, I'm going to figure out which are the "finalists". Then, I'm going to go back over them again to make sure. That's going to take so long that I'm going to forget everything, and then have to start over again. Don't worry...this won't take too long.

I will once again be giving honorary awards, but obviously the "most prolific" award no longer applies (since we're capped at 6 entries). These will be give out before the eventual winner.

Quickest way to check entries is to click on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag. Then they are listed on 2 'pages' with live links.

Here's a summary of the entries, based on the tags. I count 39, which is fantastic! There are a number of ideas here that I will be using for upcoming holiday celebrations. Who am I kidding? Most will be things that I make and enjoy at home. :laugh: But, really, there are a lot of great things that you created as part of this challenge:

caseydog
  • Maple Pecan Cronuts
ElizabethB
  • Cauliflower Rice with Smoked Almonds
  • Goat's Cheese and Toasted Pecan Roasted Cornish Hen
  • Peanut Butter Cream Pie
flyinglentris
  • Salmon Persimmon Walnut Umami
Hemulen
  • Cauliflower Gone Nuts
  • Tart with Reindeer, Walnuts and Cranberries
kaneohegirlinaz
  • Cold Somen Salad
  • K~Girl's Turtle Cheesecake
  • Pumpkin Snack Cake
karadekoolaid
  • Brussels Sprouts with Pecans & Honey
  • Navratan Korma ( 9 Precious Jewels)
  • Poor Man´s Pâté
  • Salted Caramel, Pecan and Chocolate Pie
  • Veggie Burgers
medtran49
  • Quick spicy dragon noodles
Morning Glory
  • Clams with pine nuts, sultanas and chilli
  • Scallops with hazelnut beurre noisette and tangerine curd
murphyscreek
  • Chinese Almond Chicken - Xing Ren Ji
  • Macadamia and Roasted Fennel Seed Crusted Pork
MypinchofItaly
  • Pork Loin Steaks in Chopped Walnuts Breading
  • Stuffed Cuttlefish with Cavolo Nero and Pine Nuts
  • Sweet Pine Nut Spread
  • Veggie Balls with Boiled Vegetables from the Broth
SatNavSaysStraightOn
  • Baked Walnut & Poppy Seed Dumplings with Béchamel
  • Blue Poppy Seed Cake
  • Buckwheat & Almond Scones
  • Povitica - Poppy Seed Roll or Strudel
  • Quick Sunflower Cheese Bread
  • Sweet Black Sesame Seed Pudding
TastyReuben
  • Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
  • Cream Of Peanut Soup With Cayenne
  • Nutty Sweet Potato Biscuits
  • Orange-Almond Oatmeal Cookies
  • White Chocolate Party Mix
Windigo
  • Everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Marzipan & cherry flapjacks with holiday spices
  • Paneer in almond massala (curry)
  • Spicy Indonesian meatballs with satay sauce

Here's a summary of the entries, based on the tags. I count 39, which is fantastic! There are a number of ideas here that I will be using for upcoming holiday celebrations. Who am I kidding? Most will be things that I make and enjoy at home. :laugh: But, really, there are a lot of great things that you created as part of this challenge:

caseydog
  • Maple Pecan Cronuts
ElizabethB
  • Cauliflower Rice with Smoked Almonds
  • Goat's Cheese and Toasted Pecan Roasted Cornish Hen
  • Peanut Butter Cream Pie
flyinglentris
  • Salmon Persimmon Walnut Umami
Hemulen
  • Cauliflower Gone Nuts
  • Tart with Reindeer, Walnuts and Cranberries
kaneohegirlinaz
  • Cold Somen Salad
  • K~Girl's Turtle Cheesecake
  • Pumpkin Snack Cake
karadekoolaid
  • Brussels Sprouts with Pecans & Honey
  • Navratan Korma ( 9 Precious Jewels)
  • Poor Man´s Pâté
  • Salted Caramel, Pecan and Chocolate Pie
  • Veggie Burgers
medtran49
  • Quick spicy dragon noodles
Morning Glory
  • Clams with pine nuts, sultanas and chilli
  • Scallops with hazelnut beurre noisette and tangerine curd
murphyscreek
  • Chinese Almond Chicken - Xing Ren Ji
  • Macadamia and Roasted Fennel Seed Crusted Pork
MypinchofItaly
  • Pork Loin Steaks in Chopped Walnuts Breading
  • Stuffed Cuttlefish with Cavolo Nero and Pine Nuts
  • Sweet Pine Nut Spread
  • Veggie Balls with Boiled Vegetables from the Broth
SatNavSaysStraightOn
  • Baked Walnut & Poppy Seed Dumplings with Béchamel
  • Blue Poppy Seed Cake
  • Buckwheat & Almond Scones
  • Povitica - Poppy Seed Roll or Strudel
  • Quick Sunflower Cheese Bread
  • Sweet Black Sesame Seed Pudding
TastyReuben
  • Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
  • Cream Of Peanut Soup With Cayenne
  • Nutty Sweet Potato Biscuits
  • Orange-Almond Oatmeal Cookies
  • White Chocolate Party Mix
Windigo
  • Everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Marzipan & cherry flapjacks with holiday spices
  • Paneer in almond massala (curry)
  • Spicy Indonesian meatballs with satay sauce
Good luck mate. Imagine trying to be the judge of that lot!!

And now, the honorary award winners. These winners don't get to pick the next ingredient, unless they also submitted a recipe that I selected to win. That recipe, by the way, could be one of the following. I haven't settled on that one just yet. But, until then, I wanted to reward those who delivered something excellent:

The Usain Bolt Award - awarded to the first one to post a recipe.
  • flyinglentris, who submitted the excellent Salmon Persimmon Walnut Umami Slaw. There's no time stamp, but I do see that he posted his recipe the same day that the thread started. This is impressive, since we usually spend several days just talking about the ingredient before anyone posts anything.
The Beyoncé Award - awarded to the most beautiful dish. There are a lot of sayings about beauty: it's only skin-deep, it's in the eyes of the beholder, it isn't everything. This one is always a tough one, since there are always some real lookers when it comes to presentation in these recipe challenges. But, I decided to pick the one where I had the most visceral response:
  • Chinese Almond Chicken - Xing Ren Ji (murphyscreek) - this recipe, and the presentation, is bright and clean like the noonday sun. It seriously makes me happy just to look at it. This is the sort of recipe that you'd want to bring to a party and watch everyone stare as you walk past. But, don't kid yourself: they're looking at the recipe,...not you.
The Banksy Award - awarded to the most unusually creative recipe. This is a new category that I want to use to reward people who create something cool that's well outside the mainstream. I can't think of a more fitting entry than this one:
The Picasso Award - awarded to the most prolific "food artist". I know I said that I wasn't going to award this, because everyone is capped to a maximum number. But, it's my contest, and my award, so I'm granting it because there was a sole winner:
  • SatNavSaysStraightOn - She submitted the maximum allowable entries - 6 - and I get a feeling there may have been more than that if we didn't have that limit. It's worth mentioning that both karadekoolaid and TastyReuben submitted 5 but...sorry! You don't get a prize for submitting the second most number of recipes.

Last edited:
and I get a feeling there may have been more than that if we didn't have that limit.
:whistling:

I wrote up another couple but didn't "submit" them and actually made 4 or 5 more dishes that all contained nuts or seeds... I could easily have submitted twice that number. Nuts in particular, feature heavily in our diet. I'm munching on tamari roasted almonds right now !

:whistling:

I wrote up another couple but didn't "submit" them and actually made 4 or 5 more dishes that all contained nuts or seeds... I could easily have submitted twice that number. Nuts in particular, feature heavily in our diet. I'm munching on tamari roasted almonds right now !
I thought you might be a little nutty. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom