What did you cook/eat today (December 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is chicken scampi? My understanding of scampi is seafood?

Its good you can trust him.
Scampi is the sauce.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8761/chicken-scampi-ii/

On the hubby, we have always trusted each other. We both have back stories. *Our friends figured we wouldn't last 2 weeks. Longest guess was 6 months. (26 years this week and counting).
He mostly calls so if I am making something timed, I can start it.
Depending on the time he gets off and the lights, he is either 5, 10 or 15 minutes from home.

Tonight was a simple reheat of a quiche I made earlier in the week (caramelised French onion tart) and a freshly made rice & pomegranate salad which is medium grain brown rice, 2 cups of lentils cooked, 2 red onions chopped finely, 1 (very nice and exceptionally juicy and sweet) pomegranate, a handful of huge spring onions (huge in the very long length meaning) and 1 cup of pumpkin seeds tossed in an apple cider vinegar salad dressing made from apple cider vinegar, rapeseed oil, mustard powder and pomegranate molasses.

The talk of scampy had me thinking.

I have prawns so why not?

They were not really the same as I remember 30 years ago but.... whatever. They tasted crap then also!

scampy s.jpg

I didn't believe prawns should be cooked in batter.

And I still don't.

My memory is buggered.

Scampi as we know it in the UK isn't prawns. It ought to be langoustines but most often isn't. Its usually made with‘pangasius catfish’.

The Mail can reveal that DNA tests carried out earlier this year on a number of scampi products found that more than one in five contained flesh from this cheap, imported fish. Bred in sprawling aquatic farms in Vietnam and Thailand, these metre-long, 40-kilogram beasts are largely devoid of taste but are used to bulk out the langoustine tails.

The two are mixed together with water and a cocktail of other ingredients, and the resulting greyish lumps of matter entombed in a breadcrumb coating — before being packaged and sold as ‘scampi bites’. The amount of langoustine in these products can be as little as seven per cent, while the fish used to bulk it out — pangasius, hake, pollock or some other white fish — will often be more than five times that.

Its rather similar to the fake 'crab sticks' in some ways.

There's nowt wrong with pangasius hypophthalmus (other than it is tasteless). I've eaten it here in Thailand for many years but have yet to find one that's anywhere near a metre long!

There's nowt wrong with pangasius hypophthalmus (other than it is tasteless). I've eaten it here in Thailand for many years but have yet to find one that's anywhere near a metre long!
I agree there's nothing wrong with catfish - its the other stuff they put into the 'scampi' which is the problem.

A simple enough recipe with lemon juice, butter, garlic and dried herbs. I bet its quite tasty. I can't see why it would taste like scampi though!
Scampi is butter, garlic and herbs. Or at least at most seafood restaurants here. And yes it was tasty.

Now catfish, you roll in cornmeal and fry it.
Unless it is a pet. We once had a walking catfish as a pet.

Now catfish, you roll in cornmeal and fry it.
Unless it is a pet. We once had a walking catfish as a pet.

Whenever it rains heavily here we have hundreds of little catfish walking around. You'd love it!

Albeit you would have to fight with the locals to get any.

Today will be prime rib with either baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes and another side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom