What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fegato alla veneziana, i.e. Liver with onion Venetian style

I know I said I would cut back on the chicken recipes, well, no recipe, but I just had to tell you how good the wings were last night. They are called "Bombay Chicken Wings". DH started marinating them Sunday night and cooked them last night. Best wings in a long time.

Dropped on some 'Odd Jobs' apples at the weekend (They are fruit and veg that don't meet the usual 'standards' such as a blemish on the skin etc). Some were huge, others quite small, but at $2.50/kg (£1.25) they were cheap and that meant one thing and one thing only. We were out of apple butter and missing it on our breakfast, so 4kg of Pink Lady apples were snapped up.

3.5kg were processed yesterday and today. I've stopped using acv and then adding sugar to my apple butter, I literally just use the apples and a touch of water, so they were cut up, skins and pips, the lot and put into my preserving pan and cooked until totally soft. They were too thick to get through my sieve (even the large one) so a kettle full of water was added and they were returned to the simmer and then put through the sieve. Usually I'll skin and core them first, then liquidise them to form a smooth puree once they have cooked down a touch, but this time I tried something different. The skins have left a wonderful pink tinge to the brown butter this the and I now have 11 jars of apple butter, no added sugar.

Otherwise I've only made some more bread (yesterday's loaf was a disaster that never reached the cooked stage. They scales did their usual trick and turned themselves off just add I added the first cup of flour to the water but because I was only using the cup as a transfer container, i didn't know how much i had added. I was certain it was 75-100g, but got it wrong and added too much flour to the mix. It's exactly 300g water to 600g flour mix with the one I'm currently making... Even 10g out can make a huge difference and I must have got it wrong. I was passingthe bread maker and happened to notice the lack of cooking bread smell... no loaf equals no lunch...) so today I tried again and perfect loaf.

Other things made in the last few days include more water kefir and some more sprouted grains. I'm slowly working out which ones I can sprout from that are standard shop bought and which ones have been UV treated which allows for some germination but they rot before they germinate properly or they don't germinate at all.

Hubby is away from home, hence the no cooking. I tend to eat from the freezer when he's away. Last night it was a burrito bowl. Tasty but the petition was very small and there really wasn't enough protein in it, though reading the nutritional information it apparently has 14.8g of protein in it which is good going for a vegan meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom