Lifestyle changes

Chili, dark chocolate, dandelion, citrus fruits, ginger, bananas, nuts, avocado and fatty fish are all ingredients, who can wake somebody up.

I had earlier stated that the cooler rainier weather was pressing lifestyle changes and that seems to be getting more true. Today, I had posted that I skipped the evening meal to snack on cheese and soft tacos. I had opened the post, stating that it was getting to be hibernating weather and that I was napping more frequently.

In truth, as I approach going 66, I've been thinking that I ought to halve-down on the amount of food I eat in each meal, but have yet to go that way. I'm thinking that if I do halve-down, I will be less inclined to nap as much as I find myself doing.

It's not exactly an early New Year's Day resolution, but as I start out tomorrow, I will try putting that halve-down policy into effect. It does mean less calories, for sure, but also, my meals will be less of the downer pills that they have begun to be. An added benefit is that in these days of increasing food prices, my budget will be less stressed. I wasn't seeking that as an end, but can project it as a side effect of halving-down on my meals.

I think most folks have seen the photos of my meals and how large they tend to be, for one person. So, you can see that I have plenty of room to play with the idea of halving down. I like food, but I don't think that the amounts being halved-down will cause me to suffer any detriment there. I have been eating like a farm boy all my life and as I get old, the weight naturally goes on, the sleep trigger from food has increased and the need to change has become more and more obvious.

Anyway, let's see how it goes. It's a habit to change.

In truth, as I approach going 66, I've been thinking that I ought to halve-down on the amount of food I eat in each meal, but have yet to go that way. I'm thinking that if I do halve-down, I will be less inclined to nap as much as I find myself doing.

I found the same over the years. I'm a bit older than you. When younger we somehow burn up calories. I don't quite understand it as I was never someone who exercised a lot or who was very physically active. Yet, there is no doubt I could eat a lot more than I can eat now without putting on weight.

I reckon you have a good plan. The great thing is that its simple : 'cut meals in half'. So, no need to calorie count or work out special menus. Its a good approach and I hope it works. I wish you luck.

Good luck, I don't want to be a smartass, but halve down the meat isn't something I would recommend, unless you're eating 180g/6oz of steak every day. Better go down with the bread or noodles and eat raw veggies, don't forget your smoothies. Vitamins, Minerals and the good fatty acids have to be eaten every day.

I found the same over the years. I'm a bit older than you. When younger we somehow burn up calories. I don't quite understand it as I was never someone who exercised a lot or who was very physically active. Yet, there is no doubt I could eat a lot more than I can eat now without putting on weight.

I reckon you have a good plan. The great thing is that its simple : 'cut meals in half'. So, no need to calorie count or work out special menus. Its a good approach and I hope it works. I wish you luck.
I think it's got to do with a natural decline in muscle mass as we get older, which is also why older hospital patients get more protein but less overal food.
Muscles burn more calories than other tissues

It's heartening to see so many of us taking steps to improve our health.

It's also refreshing to see that many of us face similar struggles. It can be quite easy to think that everyone else's life is A1 perfecto while you're just a fat lump.

Also great to see the way people encourage each other.

It's heartening to see so many of us taking steps to improve our health.

It's also refreshing to see that many of us face similar struggles. It can be quite easy to think that everyone else's life is A1 perfecto while you're just a fat lump.

Also great to see the way people encourage each other.
If you think that way about yourself, I think you need more than just a diet. You're a person. Not a lump of fat. I am sorry if you feel that way about yourself :hug:

Self hatred is not a constructive state for weight loss. I've been there and it didn't have positive results. If you consistently have negative feelings about yourself, therapy may be better for you than a diet.

I've only lost weight after I started treating myself well, not before when I thought I was worthless because I was fat and my eating was disordered.

If you think that way about yourself, I think you need more than just a diet. You're a person. Not a lump of fat. I am sorry if you feel that way about yourself :hug:

Self hatred is not a constructive state for weight loss. I've been there and it didn't have positive results. If you consistently have negative feelings about yourself, therapy may be better for you than a diet.

I've only lost weight after I started treating myself well, not before when I thought I was worthless because I was fat and my eating was disordered.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply I thought of myself as a fat lump, far from it. Probably bad English on my part but I was trying to highlight my point by over emphasising the issue.

What I meant was that it can be so easy to think that you are the only person dealing with an issue when in fact many people are. On social media etc many people just put on their best face.

I actually feel that while being a fugly guy I am actually quite well put together for my age. I've been very lucky and can do stuff that people younger can't. Fitness levels I could easily be taken for early 50s late 40s

As others told you before, concentrate on the Jo-Jo effect and try to keep your weight were you want it, is the next thing you should do. I experienced a positive mood, a lot of movement, to know exactly what I eat and to not eat while being stressed are helpful to balance my weight. I believe in you flyinglentris you can do it easily, everybody can do it.

Back
Top Bottom