SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
so first thing first, this isn't me going mad. it's a real Chinese dish, often referred to as black sesame soup, though I think it's more a pudding than a soup, perhaps a custard? but that all depends on how thick you make it. It's often served at Chinese New Year with black sticky rice balls.

We just had it as a dessert or treat after lunch.
I've followed the recipe from Full of Plants with very few modifications. mostly just less sugar. My ratio of black to white sesame seeds was 3:1 though because of a lack of black sesame seeds for both recipes.

Standard rice flour can be used if glutinous rice flour isn't available but you'll need a touch more sugar and a touch more rice flour because it is made from a different (non-sweet) rice.

Ingredients
  • 100 g black sesame seeds
  • 5 g white sesame seeds
  • 500 ml water
  • 175 ml full-fat coconut cream
  • 30 g sugar
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  • 30 g glutinous rice flour dissolved in 50ml water
Method
  1. gently dry roast both sets of sesame seeds in a heavy bottomed frying pan. The white sesame seeds are there simply to tell you when the black sesame seeds are lightly roasted. remove from the heat and transfer to a cold plate or similar so they don't carry on roasting. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
  2. Place the sesame seeds and the 300-400 ml of water in high speed blender and blend until totally smooth. Dilute if needed with some if the remaining water.
  3. Strain through a nut milk bag extractring as much liquid from the pulp as you can (get your hands on there and squeeze the bag hard). Find another use for the pulp, we're done with it.
  4. Transfer sesame milk, plus all remaining ingredients including any remaining water, but excluding the rice flour liquid, to a saucepan and warm gently until at a low simmer. Taste to check sweetened levels and adjust as needed. Now add the rice flour liquid and whisk constantly until the pudding thickens and boils for a few moments to cook the rice flour.
  5. serve hot, warm or cold as you prefer.

Last edited:
The white sesame seeds are there simply to tell you when the black sesame seeds are lightly roasted.

Nice tip! I have significantly more white seeds on hand, too, so this work doubly well.

place the sesame seeds and the 300-400 ml of water in high speed blender and blend until very smooth. dilute if needed with more of your extra water. strain through a nut milk bag and wring as much liquid from the pulp as you can.

Trying to track what you're doing with the ingredients. If you're wringing out the liquid from the pulp...

transfer all ingredients inc remaining water, except the rice flour liquid, along with the seed milk to a saucepan and warm gently until at a low simmer.

...does this mean you are separating the liquid from the pulp, and then bringing them back together? Does anything get discarded (the pulp? the liquid from the pulp)? And, the "remaining water" you refer to is whatever is remaining from the 300-400 ml of water you started with, correct?

Nice tip! I have significantly more white seeds on hand, too, so this work doubly well.
I can't take the credit for it. the only place I've seen it is on full of plants.
Trying to track what you're doing with the ingredients. If you're wringing out the liquid from the pulp...
re-written
...does this mean you are separating the liquid from the pulp, and then bringing them back together? Does anything get discarded (the pulp? the liquid from the pulp)? And, the "remaining water" you refer to is whatever is remaining from the 300-400 ml of water you started with, correct?
I've tried rewriting it. don't keep the pulp. if you haven't used all of the 500ml of water, you'll want to add the remaining amount to the pan. it's going to depend entirely on your blender bowl size. the one that worked best for me was a ½L smoothie container, so I couldn't get all of the sesame seeds and 500ml of water in, plus this often blender smoother when they are thicker, not thinner.... but the end result is that 500ml of water needs to be used otherwise the glutinous rice flour will over thicken the soup/pudding.

I've tried rewriting it. don't keep the pulp.

I wondered how all that grittiness could be turned into a pudding like creation, and I figured that’s what you meant, but thank you for confirming.

I can also see the technique of straining out the pulp as an amazing way to bring sesame flavor to a sauce. Thank you for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom