What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich (home made seeded loaf) with a huge tomato on the side. Dinner was a veggie stew of onions, garlic, carrots, sweet potato, and Romanesco cauliflower (and the leaves), seasoned with ground black pepper and crushed chilli, and served with more of the seeded loaf. There was supposed to be enough left over for soup tomorrow, but it was too delicious and I ate the lot. Afters was lightly stewed apple with an unsweetened custard.

We lived on that when I was a kid!
I just had to start to look for ways to preserve eggs when we first got chickens. We usually keep some eggs marked HB in the fridge ready (unshelled and uncracked) in the fridge for eating when peckish - better that that a bar of chocolate or similar (given I can't have most chocolate). But we were out of them, had beetroot around and hubby loves pickled eggs so given even after pickling 20 eggs (there are 20 in that container) we still have 5 dozen eggs in the fridge and 8-9 more a day being lain, I thought it about time I did up some more.

On the list of things made today are oatcakes - well still at the batter stage (Staffordshire oatcakes). The yeast is refusing to do anything even next to the fire and a container of sauerkraut. The new fermentation container was much bigger than a head of (green) cabbage and 2 carrots together! Its now in the spice cupboard where I can keep an eye on it for a couple of days and top up the brine levels as needed. Last time they dropped considerably which was where I fell foul - it was in a cupboard I didn't frequent often, so didn't spot the problem :whistling:

Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich (home made seeded loaf) with a huge tomato on the side. Dinner was a veggie stew of onions, garlic, carrots, sweet potato, and Romanesco cauliflower (and the leaves), seasoned with ground black pepper and crushed chilli, and served with more of the seeded loaf. There was supposed to be enough left over for soup tomorrow, but it was too delicious and I ate the lot. Afters was lightly stewed apple with an unsweetened custard.

All sounds lovely - its good to see you back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom