What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner last night. Beef and root vegetable stew (rutabaga, parsnip and carrots).

RootStew001.jpg

CD

Casually who cares right, I can live with that. Professionally, nope, they all have their proper names given the country and have unique qualities and cooking techniques which in general should be a respected. imo
I'm definitely on the same page; I wasn't trying to unify culturally distinct dishes. Unique food should be respected. However, dishes often resemble each other. Fusion kitchen; cross-cultural culinary trends, chain restaurants with simplified dishes,.... It's sad but understandable, too. Culinary influences have been intermingling since Stone Age. Coming from a small country, I know that well. I hope everyone can cook freely, keep posting in concord and make remarks - and residual remarks :D - in terms of misunderstandings and misinterpretations. No one had mentioned quiche in previous posts, so I didn't understand where it came from. Ham & cheese omelettes have been made in Western countries for centuries.

Off to boil some eggs. Melted butter, dill and white pepper on top. Viva, cholesterol!
eggs.jpg

Last edited:

Evening meal had been rescued from the freezer this morning and defrosted before the food delivery earlier today.

I'll try to come up with a salad and evening meal tomorrow using the veg. Not sure what but...

I'm definitely on the same page; I wasn't trying to unify culturally distinct dishes. Unique food should be respected. However, dishes often resemble each other. Fusion kitchen; cross-cultural culinary trends, chain restaurants with simplified dishes,.... It's sad but understandable, too. Culinary influences have been intermingling since Stone Age. Coming from a small country, I know that well. I hope everyone can cook freely, keep posting in concord and make remarks - and residual remarks :D - in terms of misunderstandings and misinterpretations. No one had mentioned quiche in previous posts, so I didn't understand where it came from. Ham & cheese omelettes have been made in Western countries for centuries.

Off to boil some eggs. Melted butter, dill and white pepper on top. Viva, cholesterol!
View attachment 79265
Those eggs would make me happy happy. Yeah, don't get me wrong I have been combining cuisines from the get go, actually fusion had not been coined or at least I hadn't heard that name when I first started combining Asian food with French food back in the 70's. Some of those dishes have morphed and I still use them. I'm known for my fusion food, but the cuisine that is first and foremost for me is French.

I believe in order to become a good through a very skilled cook, professional or home cook, is to understand the craft as thoroughly as possible and take it on as an apprentice would. When you have a gold standard recipe of a particular cuisine then and only then can you learn that dish or decide to change that dish or combine it with another cuisine that you know thoroughly as well. In the 80's and 90's fusion food was everywhere, every kitchen chef regardless of their skill was throwing fusion food at the public with a wide range of success. Most of it was just some of the worst food that has ever hit a plate and eventually fusion died out simply because it was diluted to the point that people didn't know or care anymore, sad really. That is a profession in dire need for direction or redirection. Todays chefs have their own mountains to climb with the back to basic style that is here now. You better know what your doing because you have nowhere to hide and with "chef" being the new celebrity there's been an influx of people going to culinary school that believe they know it all right after graduation then finding out they probably should have thought it through more thoroughly before they took on a huge debt going to the C.I.A. Personally I think a prerequisite for any culinary school should be a minimum time spent in a restaurant kitchen.

Again casually I don't care what anybody does but if someone is going to be specific then it needs to be somewhat accurate or eventually the dilution eventually waters down the basic understanding and it turns into a free for all and chaos, and that's not desirable or fare for people that want to take cooking more seriously.

That´s entirely a matter of opinion. An omelette and a soufflé are French dishes.
Better? It depends on what you like.
Bigger? so what? More appetite.
Faster? hey, I can make an omelette in 2 minutes, and I´m not even a Chef!:D:D
Yeah, I wasn't being serious, I was joking around with TR. I thought it was obvious, I guess not. lol. Cheers.

My breakfast today features my first use of a flag/paddle skewer. Breakfast was a sausage, egg and cheese breakfast muffin with Canadian bacon tossed in. A hash brown patty is a side, as usual, and a glass of lemon water is also there to wash it all down. A cut up tomato rounds things out.

I had half a leftover cheeseburger for breakfast. It was very good!

Last edited:
Did you eat salad in the bathtub lol. I know you didn't. I've actually fed hubby appetizers and cocktails in the jacuzzi!
Nah, the salad is having its bath...in the salad spinner.

The sausages last night were from a four-pack, so here're the other two, along with some warm German potato salad:

Nah, the salad is having its bath...in the salad spinner.

The sausages last night were from a four-pack, so here're the other two, along with some warm German potato salad:

View attachment 79288
I love German potato salad! I like alfalfa sprouts in mine, not a lot, just a little.

Your salad had a Mexican shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom